close

News WrapGet Handpicked Stories from our editors directly to your mailbox

Sikkim Lok Sabha constituency of Sikkim: Full list of candidates, polling dates

Here is the full list of candidates contesting the Lok Sabha election in 2019 from Sikkim Lok Sabha constituency of Sikkim.

Sikkim Lok Sabha constituency of Sikkim: Full list of candidates, polling dates
File photo

Sikkim Lok Sabha Constituency covers the entire area of Sikkim.

Sikkim registered 78.81 percent voter turnout in 2019, a loss of 1.99 percent. The total number of electors in the constituency is 432306 while the total voter turnout is 340692. While in 2014, the constituency registered 80.80 percent voter turnout. The total number of electors in the constituency was 370770 while the total voter's turnout was 299572.

The first phase of voting in the lone constituency of Sikkim ended on April 11. The fate of 11 candidates will be decided on May 23 when counting of votes takes place and the result is declared.

The state, situated in northeastern India, participated in India's first general elections in 1977 after joining the Indian union in 1975. Chatra Bahadur Chhetri of the Indian National Congress was the first MP from Sikkim who was elected unopposed.

Here is the full list of candidates contesting the Lok Sabha election in 2019 from Sikkim Lok Sabha constituency of Sikkim.

1 BHARAT BASNETT Indian National Congress
2 DEK BAHADUR KATWAL Sikkim Democratic Front
4 INDRA HANG SUBBA Sikkim Krantikari Morcha
5 LATEN TSHERING SHERPA Bharatiya Janata Party
6 BIRAJ ADHIKARI Hamro Sikkim Party
7 DHIRAJ KUMAR RAI Sikkim Republican Party
8 NARENDRA ADHIKARI Sikkim United Front
9 RABIN RAI All Indians Party
10 SUNMAYA GURUNG Jai Maha Bharath Party
11 MAHENDRA THAPA Independent
12 PASSANG GYALI SHERPA Independent

In the 2014 Lok Sabha election, Prem Das Rai of the Sikkim Democratic Front party – won with a  margin of over 41 thousand votes. He had defeated candidate from Sikkim Krantikari Morcha (SKM).

Sikkim constituencies: All you need to know

Members from Bharatiya Janata Party and Indian National Congress (INC) were other contesting candidates.

In the year 2009, Prem Das Rai had defeated candidate from INC by getting a margin of 84 thousand votes.

The voter turnout across 493 polling stations for this election here was 83.76 per cent. Some of the other candidates were from Sikkim Himali Rajya Parishad (SHRP) and BJP. SHRP later merged with INC in 2014.