New Delhi: Finally, the results of MCD bypolls are out!
Overall, the results proved as a shot in the arm for Congress as it bagged 4 seats out of 13.
However, AAP, making its debut in the civic bypolls, was hoping to replicate its Assembly polls magic but managed to get only 5 seats.
BJP emerged victorious in 3 seats. The MCD which was trifurcated in 2012, has been BJP-ruled for the last 10 years.
An Independent candidate too secured win in one seat.
Political pundits feel that the results of these bypolls will have a bearing on the 2017 municipal elections. The polling was held on May 15. The by-elections were necessitated due to 13 councillors getting elected to Delhi Assembly in 2013 and 2015.
Here are the details of the bypolls results of 13 MCD wards - who won from where:-
- Ballimaran ward: AAP wins
- Quamruddin Nagar ward: Congress candidates Ashok Bhardwaj wins
- Khichripur ward: Congress candidate Anand Kumar wins
- Nanakpura ward: AAP candidate Anil Malik wins
- Vikas Nagar ward: AAP candidate wins
- Matiala ward: AAP candidate wins
- Munirka ward: Congress wins seat
- Tehkhand ward: AAP's Abhishek Bidhuri wins
- Bhati ward: Independent candidate wins
- Wazirpur ward: BJP's Mahendra Nagpal wins
- Jhilmil ward: - Congress candidate Pankaj wins
- Shalimar Bagh North ward: BJP's Bhupinder Mohan Bhandari wins
- Nawada ward : BJP's Krishan Gehlot wins
45.9 per cent of the 6,68,870 eligible voters exercised their franchise in the high-stake bypolls for the wards falling under three corporations - SDMC (7), NDMC (4) and EDMC (2), being billed as a litmus test for popularity of the AAP government.