Shillong: Meghalaya government has urged for upholding the ban against a Khasi rebel outfit the HNLC as a tribunal examining the issue is likely to take a final call on the matter on April 29.
The plea was made during a hearing conducted by the office of the Registrar, Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Tribunal, Delhi High Court, here today.
"The state government is making plea that the ban against the proscribed Hynniewtrep National Liberation Army (HNLC) should continue," government counsel Ranjan Mukherjee told PTI here.
According to him, the notification issued by the Centre on November 16, 2014 declared HNLC as a banned outfit.
All witnesses have been examined during the hearing conducted by the Judge of the Tribunal, A K Pathak.
"In today's proceedings, all the six districts of Khasi and Jaintia Hills region in which the HNLC was active have been examined," Mukherjee said.
The statements of the Commissioner and Secretary in charge Political department of Meghalaya besides the Deputy Commissioners (DCs) and Superintendents of Police (SPs) of three districts ? East Khasi Hills, West Khasi Hills and Ri Bhoi District - have been examined today, the government counsel said.
The statements of DCs and SPs from East Jaintia Hills, West Jaintia Hills and South West Khasi Hills district had been examined by the tribunal in its previous sittings.
The Tribunal would now hear the arguments before taking a final call on the issue in its next hearing scheduled to be held at New Delhi on April 29.
"In the process of either confirmation or cancellation, the proceedings h ve been held, evidences have been recorded, now the judge will hear arguments from both the parties ? Union government and state of Meghalaya," he said.
It may be noted that the Tribunal so far has held around eight to ten sittings on the matter since the notification was issued by the Centre last year.