Pathankot attack: Will Nawaz Sharif walk the talk?

Combing operations continued on Wednesday to sanitise the Pathankot Air Force base in Punjab.

Pathankot attack: Will Nawaz Sharif walk the talk?

New Delhi: Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif on Tuesday telephoned Prime Minister Narendra Modi from Sri Lanka and promised "prompt and decisive action" against terrorist groups linked to the attack on the air base at Pathankot in Punjab.

Sharif's assurance came after New Delhi provided "specific and actionable information" to Islamabad regarding the terrorists who mounted the attack.

During the talks, Modi, who had stunned everybody by paying an unannounced visit to Lahore on December 25, underlined the need for Pakistan to take "firm and immediate action" against organisations and individuals responsible for it.

According to The Times of India, the terrorists had made dry runs at an air base in Pakistan before attacking the Pathankot air base. Such a mock drill can't be possible without the involvement of the Pakistani military and ISI in the strike.


Earlier yesterday, Indian National Security Advisor Ajit Doval spoke to his Pakistani counterpart Naseer Khan Janjua and shared with him the details proving that terrorists hailed from Pakistan.

Doval gave the details of the "Gang of 7", which includes Jaish-e-Mohammed founder Maulana Masood Azhar, his younger brother Mufti Abdur Rauf Asghar, Maulana Ashfaq, Haji Shakqur, Jaan Ali Kasif of village Dosirah in Charsada district and Saifullah and Iftikhar, both from Shakargarh.


This is to be seen if Sharif keeps his word and takes action against terrorists, whose information has been provided by India.

The combat operation ended on Tuesday with Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar announcing that six terrorists were killed. Seven security personnel, including an officer of the National Security Guards (NSG), were also killed in the attack.


The United Jehad Council (UJC), an umbrella grouping of Kashmiri militant groups based in Pakistan headed by Syed Salahuddin, on Monday claimed responsibility for the attack.