JODHPUR: The Jodhpur Schedule Caste and Schedule Tribe Court on Wednesday convicted self-styled godman Asaram in 2013 rape case.
Following is the timeline of the case:
- A teenage girl from Shahajahanpur in Uttar Pradesh, who was studying at his ashram at Chhindwara in Madhya Pradesh, accused Asaram of raping her.
- The self-styled godman, however, denied the rape charges.
- The victim has alleged that Asaram called her to his ashram in Manai area near Jodhpur and raped her on the night of August 15, 2013.
- Asaram was arrested in Indore and brought to Jodhpur on September 1, 2013.
- He is in judicial custody since September 2, 2013.
- The chargesheet against Asaram and four other co-accused Shiva, Shilpi, Sharad and Prakash were filed by the police on November 6, 2013, under various sections of the POSCO Act, Juvenile Justice Act and IPC.
- Final arguments in the Asaram case had been completed by the special court for SC/ST cases on April 7, 2018.
- The court had kept the order reserved for April 25.
- Asaram is also facing a rape case in Surat in Gujarat in which the Supreme Court in April 2018 gave five weeks time to the prosecution to complete the trial.
- Asaram unsuccessfully moved 12 bail applications, of which six were rejected by the trial court, three by the Rajasthan High Court and three by the apex court.
- The Jodhpur Schedule Caste and Schedule Tribe Court convicts Asaram on April 25, 2018 in 2013 rape case.