London: The London 2012 Olympic flame went out on the third day of the torch relay due to a ``malfunctioning burner``, Games organisers have said.
The torch was on the side of David Follett`s wheelchair in Great Torrington, Devon, when it went out for the first time after it arrived in Britain before the Olympics.
A replacement flame was then brought that accompanied the torchbearers, The Telegraph reports.
A spokesman for Locog said: "The flame went out due to a malfunctioning burner. It is not uncommon for a flame to go out and this can happen for a number of reasons, for example, in extreme winds".
Edward Barber and Jay Osgerby, who commended its ability to withstand adverse weather and stay lit, designed the Olympic torches in London.
"The torch had to be economical and sustainable as well as being beautiful and strong, so it`s an incredibly complicated piece of design," Edward Barber and Jay Osgerby said.
"It has to function at high altitudes, sub-zero temperatures, in strong winds and also be incredibly light as so many different types of people will be carrying it," they said.
The relay is in its third day and the torch is travelling between Exeter and Taunton.