close

News WrapGet Handpicked Stories from our editors directly to your mailbox

Haridwar Lok Sabha Constituency of Uttarakhand: Full list of candidates, polling dates

Here is the full list of candidates contesting the Lok Sabha election in 2019 from the Haridwar Lok Sabha constituency.

Haridwar Lok Sabha Constituency of Uttarakhand: Full list of candidates, polling dates

Haridwar is one of five parliamentary constituencies in the northern state of Uttarakhand and is made up of 14 assembly segments in two districts - Haridwar and Dehradun, was formed before 1951.

Haridwar registered 68.92 percent voter turnout in 2019, a loss of 2.71 percent. The total number of electors in the constituency is 1835535 while the total voter turnout is 1265061. While in 2014, the constituency registered 71.63 percent voter turnout. The total number of electors in the constituency was 1637583 while the total voter's turnout was 1173036.

This constituency was reserved for candidates belonging to Scheduled Castes between the years of 1977 and 2009.

The first phase of voting in five constituencies of Uttarakhand ended on April 11. The fate of 15 candidates will be decided on May 23 when counting of votes takes place and the result is declared.

Altogether 58 per cent voters exercised their franchise in the first phase of polling in five Lok Sabha constituencies in Uttarakhand. 

Here is the full list of candidates contesting the Lok Sabha election in 2019 from the Haridwar Lok Sabha constituency:- 

1 Dr. Antriksh Saini Bahujan Samaj Party
2 Ambrish Kumar Indian National Congress
3 Ramesh Pokhriyal 'Nishank' Bharatiya Janata Party
4 Tribirendra Singh Rawat Uttarakhand Kranti Dal (Democratic)
6 Narendra Chauhan Bhartiya Sarvodaya Party
8 Furkan Ali Advocate Pragatishil Samajwadi Party (Lohia)
9 Bhanpal Singh Bahujan Mukti Party
11 Reenu Hindusthan Nirman Dal
13 Lalit Kumar Peoples Party of India (Democratic)
14 Surendra Kumar Upadhayay Uttarakhand Kranti Dal
16 Aadil Independent
17 Dharmendra Independent
19 Bachi Singh Independent
21 Thakur Manish Singh (Verma) "Swabhimani" Independent
22 Shishupal Singh Independent

Lok Sabha Election 2019: All You Need To Know 

In the 2014 Lok Sabha election, former Uttarakhand CM Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank of the BJP defeated Congress party candidate Renuka Rawat - wife of former state CM Harish Rawat - by over 1.77 lakh votes.

In the 2009 Lok Sabha polls, the Congress party had managed to upset BJP with Harish Rawat defeating Swami Yatishwaranand by over 1.20 lakh votes.

This year, BJP's Nishank is set to face Congress candidate Ambrish Kumar. 

Interestingly, Ambrish had left Congress to join Samajwadi Party before making a return in 2014. Will this hurt Ambrish's prospects or anti-incumbency factor make an impact on Nishank's chances of winning for a second-time only time will know.