Lok Sabha election 2019: Modi slams NC leader Omar Abdullah for a 'separate PM' for Jammu and Kashmir remark
The first phase of voting in the crucial election will take place on April 11 and political parties are leaving no stone unturned to ensure their respective messages reach out to approximately 900 million eligible voters.
New Delhi: The first day of April promises to take the political campaigns ahead of the Lok Sabha 2019 election to fever pitch with political leaders planning rallies galore to woo voters. While PM Narendra Modi will address two rallies during the day, Rahul Gandhi will address three.
The first phase of voting in the crucial election will take place on April 11 and political parties are leaving no stone unturned to ensure their respective messages reach out to approximately 900 million eligible voters. The election is the biggest in the world and primarily puts the BJP against Congress in a faceoff which could see regional parties making an impact as well.
Thank you for joining us. Do come back again on Tuesday (April 2) for election live updates.
Here are updates from Monday (April 1):
* Congress leader Hardik Patel on Monday moved the Supreme Court challenging the Gujarat High Court order rejecting his plea to stay his conviction in the 2015 Vispur rioting case. It is likely that his petition would be mentioned Tuesday for an urgent hearing.
* Hours after National Conference chief Omar Abdullah called for a 'separate Prime Minister' for the state of Jammu and Kashmir, PM Modi in Telangana attacked the Congress, saying that the party must answer that how NC, which is an ally of the Congress, can have the audacity to have such demands.
PM Modi in Telangana says "Congress ke ek bade sahyogi dal, National Conference ne bayan diya hai ki Kashmir mein alag PM hona chahiye. Congress ko jawab dena hoga. Kya karan hai ki unka saathi dal is prakar ki baat bolne ki himmat kar raha hai." pic.twitter.com/S8BYKpaqrY — ANI (@ANI) April 1, 2019
* CPM leader & former Kerala CM VS Achuthanandan in his Facebook post: I called Rahul Gandhi 'Amul Baby' earlier, because of his attitude of approaching situations without understanding them. What will happen in Wayanad if Rahul comes? Left parties will fight against Rahul & BJP.
* Reuters: Facebook says it has removed 15 pages and accounts linked to individuals related to an Indian IT firm named Silver Touch, a company associated with Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s NaMo app
* Tej Pratap Yadav launches 'Lalu Rabri Morcha' in Patna, says, "We demand two Lok Sabha seats of Sheohar and Jehanabad."
* A Congress delegation met Election Commission over a few issues including the misuse of Doordarshan by BJP in broadcasting certain speeches made by PM Modi and use of a particular channel which has come up and has logo of 'NAMO': Kapil Sibal
* Today a very historical development has taken place. Owners of those accounts were not known. It was fake. It was used to spread falsehood against Narendra Modi govt," Union Minister RS Prasad on 'Facebook removing 687 pages, accounts linked to Congress party ahead of polls'
* There are multiple FIRs registered against Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath. Only those who have multiple FIRs registered against them raise slogans because they know there is one of their own who is involved," Akhilesh Yadav to ANI.
* "Congress is asking questions that how many terrorists died in Balakot. Now tell me, do the brave count bodies? They are not counted by the valiant but by vultures," said Rajnath Singh.
* "India, which ranked 11th in the list of world economies in 2013, has jumped to the sixth position and will stand 5th in the list over the next six months. If the pace of development continues, India will be the third biggest economy in the world by 2028,” Rajnath Singh said at a poll rally in Almora.
* I have been told that TDP has started a new work, and that work is related to cyber crime. The 'Seva Mitra' app they talk about, neither it is doing 'Seva (service)' nor it is a friend. The truth is that app is stealing people's data, PM Modi in Rajahmundry, Andhra Pradesh.
* Congress leader Manish Tewari on Facebook removing 687 pages, accounts linked to Congress party ahead of polls: "We don’t react to news reports which may just be coming in, we will have to check veracity of the report whether there are any Facebook pages which are linked to us."
Manish Tewari, Congress on 'Facebook says removing 687 pages, accounts linked to Congress party ahead of polls': We don’t react to news reports which may just be coming in, we will have to check veracity of the report whether there are any Facebook pages which are linked to us... https://t.co/N2pUoD9Dti — ANI (@ANI) April 1, 2019
* Snapshots of Congress IT Cell linked Facebook pages that were shut down today for spreading misinformation and “coordinated inauthentic behaviour in India” according to FB Head of Cybersecurity Nathaniel Gleicher
Snapshots of Congress IT Cell linked Facebook pages that were shut down today for spreading misinformation and “coordinated inauthentic behaviour in India” according to FB Head of Cybersecurity Nathaniel Gleicher pic.twitter.com/x90ekmO5ZN — ANI (@ANI) April 1, 2019
* "I proudly announce Shri Thushar Vellappally, President of Bharat Dharma Jana Sena as NDA candidate from Wayanad (Kerala)," tweeted BJP President Amit Shah
* Congress leader Shashi Tharoor files nomination from Thiruvananthapuram Parliamentary constituency in Kerala.
* Did your CM ever raise the Rafale issue? Did he ever say 'chowkidar chor hai'? It's a partnership, TRS & their MPs help Narendra Modi. The fight is against Modi & BJP, only Congress is fighting, not TRS, the whole country knows: Rahul
* Congress president Rahul Gandhi addresses a public gathering in Telangana's Zaheerabad.
* Mulayam Singh Yadav files nomination from Mainpuri Lok Sabha constituency.
* BJP releases the 14th list of three candidates in Odisha for the 2019 Lok Sabha election. The party also announces the 5th list of 11 candidates for elections to Odisha State Legislative Assembly.
BJP releases 14th list of 3 candidates in Odisha for #LokSabhaElections2019 . 5th list of 11 candidates for elections to Odisha State Legislative Assembly also released. pic.twitter.com/KJmdoAHndl — ANI (@ANI) April 1, 2019
* Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) releases a list of six candidates in Uttar Pradesh for Lok Sabha poll.
* Do you need people who are heroes of the country or people who have become heroes in Pakistan? Do you want proof or you want to take pride in the evidence: Prime Minister
* The alliance between Congress and NCP in Maharashtra is like Khumbhkaran. They sleep for six months when in power, gets up and goes to sleep again after eating public money: PM
* Two days ago, a Congress leader said that Modi has only made a vigil on the toilet. Isn't this language insulting to those who are engaged in cleanliness: PM Modi
* Congress' abuses are my badge of honour, says Prime Minister
* Earlier when satellites were launched only a select few were able to watch it. To create an interest in science and a sense of respect towards our scientists we took an important decision, whenever such launches happen, seating arrangements will be made for common people: PM
* I would like to congratulate our space scientists and ISRO for their achievement: PM Modi
* Prime Minister Narendra Modi addresses a public rally at Maharashtra's Wardha.
* Pragatisheel Samajwadi Party (Lohia) chief Shivpal Singh Yadav meets Mulayam Singh Yadav at his residence in Uttar Pradesh's Etawah. The latter will file his nomination for Mainpuri Lok Sabha constituency later in the day.
Etawah: Pragatisheel Samajwadi Party (Lohia) chief Shivpal Singh Yadav meets Mulayam Singh Yadav at his residence. The latter will file his nomination for Mainpuri Lok Sabha constituency today. pic.twitter.com/nqfqx9h1Aj — ANI UP (@ANINewsUP) April 1, 2019
* Track the election pulse with top party leaders and Zee News at India Ka DNA conclave.
* Mulayam Singh Yadav to file his nomination from Mainpuri constituency later today. Brother Shivpal expected to be present here.
* Who is going where:
PM Modi will be in Wardha (Maharashtra) and Rajmundari (Andhra Pradesh) today. He has already launched a scathing attack on Congress during his rallies in the past three days even as he recounts the highlights of his five years in office.
Rahul Gandhi will address three rallies in Telangana today, at Zaheerabad, Wanaparthy and Huzurnagar.