Madurai Parliamentary Constituency is one of the 39 parliamentary constituencies of the southern state of Tamil Nadu. It was formed in the year 1952 and it is not reserved for any category. It is composed of six Vidhan Sabha segments.
Madurai registered 65.77 percent voter turnout in 2019, a loss of 2.11 percent. The total number of electors in the constituency is 1538133 while the total voter turnout is 1011649. While in 2014, the constituency registered 67.88 percent voter turnout. The total number of electors in the constituency was 1439792 while the total voter's turnout was 977401.
The electors in the Madurai Lok Sabha Constituency in Tamil Nadu cast their votes on April 18 in the second phase of 2019 Lok Sabha election while the results would be declared on May 23.
Dhavamani A of Bahujan Samaj Party, Raj Satyen VVR of All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam and Venkatesan S of Communist Party of India (Marxist) are some of those candidates contesting general election 2019 from Madurai Lok Sabha Constituency of Tamil Nadu.
The assembly constituencies that fall in Madurai parliamentary constituency are Madurai North, Madurai West, Madurai Central, Madurai East, Madurai South and Melur.
Here is the full list of candidates contesting the Lok Sabha election in 2019 from Madurai Lok Sabha Constituency of Tamil Nadu.
|SL. NO.||Candidate Name||Party Name|
|1||DHAVAMANI A||Bahujan Samaj Party|
|2||RAJ SATYEN V.V.R||All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam|
|3||VENKATESAN S||Communist Party of India (Marxist)|
|4||ALAGAR P||Desiya Makkal Sakthi Katchi|
|5||ALAGAR M||Makkal Needhi Maiam|
|6||PANDIAMMAL J||Naam Tamilar Katchi|
|7||MAYALAGAN N||Tamil Nadu Ilangyar Katchi|
|13||DAVID ANNADURAI K||Independent|
|15||NAGA JOTHI K||Independent|
|16||PASUMPON PANDIAN S||Independent|
|19||BRITTO JAI SINGH M||Independent|
|21||BOOMI RAJAN K||Independent|
R Gopalakrishnan of AIADMK is the incumbent Member of Parliament from this constituency.
In the 2014 polls, R Gopalakrishnan managed to get 454167 and succeeded in decimating V Velusamy of the DMK who secured 256731 votes.