close

News WrapGet Handpicked Stories from our editors directly to your mailbox

Raiganj Lok Sabha Constituency of West Bengal: Full list of candidates, polling dates

Here is the full list of candidates contesting the Lok Sabha election in 2019 from Raiganj Lok Sabha Constituency of West Bengal. 

Raiganj Lok Sabha Constituency of West Bengal: Full list of candidates, polling dates
File Photo

Raiganj Lok Sabha Constituency is one of the 42 Lok Sabha Constituencies of the state of West Bengal. The Raiganj Parliamentary Constituency was formed prior to the 1962 elections.

Raiganj registered 79.61 percent voter turnout in 2019, a loss of 0.16 percent. The total number of electors in the constituency is 1599948 while the total voter turnout is 1273684. While in 2014, the constituency registered 79.77 percent voter turnout. The total number of electors in the constituency was 1386814 while the total voter's turnout was 1106196.

The Raiganj Lok Sabha Constituency (constituency number 5) has seven legislative assembly segments two of which are reserved for the SC category.

Here is the full list of candidates contesting the Lok Sabha election in 2019 from Raiganj Lok Sabha Constituency of West Bengal. 

West Bengal Lok Sabha constituencies: All you need to know

SL. NO. Candidate Name Party Name
1 Agarwal Kanaialal All India Trinamool Congress
2 Churka Murmu Bahujan Samaj Party
3 Deepa Dasmunsi Indian National Congress
4 Debasree Chaudhuri Bharatiya Janata Party
5 Md. Salim Communist Party of India (Marxist)
6 Akik Hossain Chowdhury Kamatapur People’s Party (United)
7 Lakshman Murmu Ambedkarite Party of India
8 Santhapan Hasdak Jharkhand Mukti Morcha
9 Advocate Anjay Debsarma Independent
10 Kumaresh Sarkar Independent
11 Binoy Kumar Das Independent
12 Md. Sahajan Badsha Independent
13 Raju Paul Independent

Also read: Raiganj Lok Sabha Constituency 

The electors in the Raiganj Lok Sabha Constituency cast their votes on April 18 in the second phase of 2019 Lok Sabha election. The results will be out on May 23. 

Md. Salim of CPM is the sitting Member of Parliament from this constituency.

In the 2014 Lok Sabha polls, Md. Salim defeated INC candidate Deepa Dasmunsi. Md Salim bagged 317,515 votes against his INC rival Deepa Dasmunsi who got 315881 votes.

In 2014 Lok Sabha polls, AITC bagged 34 seats – gaining 15 more than 2009, while CPI(M) could win only two seats – Raiganj and Murshidabad. Congress emerged victorious on four seats, and BJP opened their account from Asansol and Darjeeling. 

This time too, CPI(M) has fielded Md. Salim from this seat. To defeat the current MP in the Lok Sabha elections 2019, the AITC has fielded Kanaia Lal Agarwal while BJP has fielded Deboshree Choudhary. Meanwhile, the Congress has again fielded Deepa Dasmunshi from Raiganj seat.

Lok Sabha election 2019 took place in seven phases across the country – on April 11, April 18, April 23, April 29, May 6, May 12 and May 19.

The results would be declared on May 23.