Mumbai: Even as various media reports claimed that Aamir Khan had been removed as the brand ambassador of the Incredible India campaign by the Ministry of Tourism, the latest released by Press Information Bureau clarified on Wednesday that there was no change in the stand of the ministry.
It further added that the ministry had a contractual agreement with creative agency Mc Cann Worldwide to produce a social awareness campaign which features Aamir.
The actor has been the face of the campaign for many years now and has featured in a number of commercials issued in public interest by the government.
A controversy had erupted some time back when the Bollywood superstar had made some remarks on the alleged growing intolerance in the country.
Earlier, various media reports had said that Aamir may have been removed as the face of the campaign because of his 'controversial' remarks.
During an event held in November last year, Aamir had said, “I feel there is a sense of insecurity, there is a sense of fear... I think in the last 6 months...8 months, there has been a growing sense of despondency...Kiran and I have lived all our lives here...for the first time Kiran says we will move out of India...it is a very disastrous and a big statement for Kiran to make to me....She fears for her child...she fears what the atmosphere around us will be...she feels scared to open the newspapers everyday. So that does indicate that there is sense of growing disquiet, there is a sense of growing despondency...So that sense does exist in me to be quite honest.”
This triggered massive controversy and the actor had to issue a statement later to clarify his stance.
The Bollywood star had maintained that his remarks had been misinterpreted and that he stood by his views.