close

News WrapGet Handpicked Stories from our editors directly to your mailbox

Kairana Lok Sabha constituency of Uttar Pradesh: Full list of candidates, polling dates

Here is the full list of candidates contesting the Lok Sabha election in 2019 from Kairana Lok Sabha constituency of Uttar Pradesh.

Kairana Lok Sabha constituency of Uttar Pradesh: Full list of candidates, polling dates
File photo

Kairana is one of the 80 Lok Sabha constituencies in Uttar Pradesh. Voting for Lok Sabha election in Uttar Pradesh will be held in seven phases and Kairana will went polls in the first phase on 11 April. Counting for the election will be held on May 23.

Kairana registered 67.46 percent voter turnout in Lok Sabha Election 2019, a loss of 5.63 percent from 2014. The total number of electors in the constituency is 1661963 while 1121221 came out to exercise their franchise. While in 2014, the constituency registered 73.09 percent voter turnout. The total number of electors in the constituency was 1529518 while 1117956 voted.

Kairana constituency comprises of five assembly segments namely, Nakur, Gangoh, Kairana, Thana Bhawan and Shamli. 

Kairana is located around 630 km from the capital city of Lucknow. The Lok Sabha constituency has nearly 17 lakh voters with a significant number of Muslims, Jats and Dalit voters.

The first phase of voting in 8 constituencies of Uttar Pradesh ended on April 11 with nearly 62.10 per cent of the electorate exercising their franchise in Kairana seat. The fate of 13 contesting candidates will be decided on May 23 when counting of votes takes place and the result is declared. The total voter turnout recorded in UP was 64 per cent.

Here is the full list of candidates contesting the Lok Sabha election in 2019 from Kairana Lok Sabha constituency of Uttar Pradesh.

1 Tabassum Begum Samajwadi Party
2 Pradeep Kumar Bharatiya Janata Party
3 Harendra Singh Malik Indian National Congress
4 Manoj Kumar Aapki Apni Party (Peoples)
6 Mukesh Devi Mahasankalp Janta Party
7 Yogesh Kumar Rashtriya Mazdoor Ekta Party
8 Rekha Hindusthan Nirman Dal
9 Sheshraj Bharatrashtra Democratic Party
10 Shripal Singh Sarvjan Lok Shakti Party
12 Imran Independent
14 Mohd Gufran Kazmi Independent
15 Harendra Singh Malik Indian National Congress
17 Mohd Saleem Independent
18 Harish Kumar Independent
19 Harendra Singh Malik Indian National Congress
20 Rekha Hindusthan Nirman Dal

By-election for the seat was necessitated in 2018 after the death of BJP MP Hukum Singh. The closely fought election in the high stake seat was won by Rashtriya Lok Dal (RLD) candidate Tabassum Hassan who defeated her nearest rival BJP candidate and Hukum Singh's daughter Mriganka Singh by 44,618 votes. The result assumed significance as Tabassum was the joint candidate of the Grand Alliance candidates, supported by the Congress, SP and BSP. With the bypoll, the RLD had succeeded in getting back the Jat votes that they had lost to the BJP in 2014. 

Uttar Pradesh constituencies: All you need to know

Of the total of 9,38,742 votes polled, Tabassum got 4,81,182 votes and Mriganka bagged 4,36,564 votes in Kairana

In 2014, BJP's Hukum Singh had won the seat by securing 5,65909 votes with over 50 per cent vote share defeating his closest rival Samajwadi Party's Nahid Hassan who got 3,29,081 votes. Interestingly, the combined vote share of the SP, Bahujan Samaj Party and Rashtriya Lok Dal (RLD) was 39.3 per cent, way less that the single vote share that Hukum Singh had achieved.