Lucknow: Terming the Centre`s special package
for Bundelkhand as insufficient, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister
Mayawati today shot off a letter to the Prime Minister
demanding special area incentive package for the region.
"The Centre has sanctioned an additional central
assistance of only Rs 1,595 crore for Bundelkhand for three
years, which is insufficient, as UP will get less than Rs 550
crore every year," Mayawati said in her letter to Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh.
She claimed that the remaining amount would be made
available through conversion from the central schemes, which
were already being implemented.
"The people of Bundelkhand are disappointed with the
meagre assistance announced by the Centre," she said.
The CM had requested the PM to direct the Planning
Commission to arrange enough resources for all-round
development of Bundelkhand region.
Mayawati had earlier requested the Centre to sanction
a Rs 80,000 crore special package for the development of the
Bundelkhand region and also met the PM in this regard.
"Against the special package announced by the state,
the Centre on November 20 announced a package of only Rs 7,266
crore for a period of three years for Bundelkhand region
covered in UP and MP. Of this UP will get only Rs 550 crore
annually," she said.