close

News WrapGet Handpicked Stories from our editors directly to your mailbox

Dibrugarh Lok Sabha constituency of Assam: Full list of candidates, polling dates

Here is the full list of candidates contesting the Lok Sabha election in 2019 from Dibrugarh Lok Sabha constituency of Assam.

Dibrugarh Lok Sabha constituency of Assam: Full list of candidates, polling dates

Dibrugarh is one of 14 Lok Sabha constituencies in the north-eastern state of Assam. Dibrugarh Lok Sabha constituency covers nine assembly segments - Moran, Dibrugarh, Lahowal, Duliajan, Thingkhong, Naharkaria, Tinsukia, Digboi and Margherita.

Dibrugarh registered 77.26 percent voter turnout in Lok Sabha Election 2019, a loss of 2.08 percent from 2014. The total number of electors in the constituency is 1312195 while 1013821 came out to exercise their franchise. While in 2014, the constituency registered 79.34 percent voter turnout. The total number of electors in the constituency was 1122387 while 890525 voted.

Home to key economic districts in the state, winning in Dibrugarh constituency has been given a special priority by political parties.

The first phase of voting in five constituencies of Assam ended on April 11. The fate of 10 candidates will be decided on May 23 when counting of votes takes place and the result is declared.

Here is the list of candidates who are contesting from Dibrugarh Lok Sabha constituency of Assam:

SR No. Candidate Name Party Name
1 PABAN SINGH GHATOWAR Indian National Congress
2 RAMESWAR TELI Bharatiya Janata Party
4 DR. TITUS BHENGRA Bahujan Mukti Party
6 BHABEN BARUAH National People's Party
7 APURBA SAIKIA Independent
8 ISRAIL NANDA Independent
9 NURUL HUDA IMDADUL ISLAM SAIKIA Independent
10 RUBUL BURAGOHAIN Independent

In the 2014 Lok Sabha election, BJP's Rameshwar Teli managed to defeat Congress' Paban Singh Ghatowar by 1,85,347 votes. A total of 11,24,305 electors eligible to vote across 1535 polling stations in this constituency. The overall voter turnout in the state was at 80 per cent.

In 2009 Lok Sabha election, Ghatowar had managed to defeat current Assam CM Sarbananda Sonowal who shortly after moved to BJP from Asom Gana Parishad but his win was by a margin of 35,143 votes - far lesser than the margin of his loss five years later.