Jorhat Lok Sabha constituency of Assam: Full list of candidates, polling dates
Here is the full list of candidates contesting the Lok Sabha election in 2019 from Jorhat Lok Sabha constituency of Assam.
Jorhat is one of 14 Lok Sabha constituencies in the north-eastern state of Assam. Jorhat Lok Sabha constituency covers ten assembly segments - Jorhat, Titabar, Mariani, Teok, Amguri, Nazira, Mahmara, Sonari, Thowra and Sibsagar.
Jorhat registered 77.49 percent voter turnout in Lok Sabha Election 2019, a gain of 1.31 percent from 2014. The total number of electors in the constituency is 1360328 while 1054126 came out to exercise their franchise. While in 2014, the constituency registered 78.80 percent voter turnout. The total number of electors in the constituency was 1232762 while 971369 voted.
The first phase of voting in five constituencies of Assam ended on April 11. The fate of following 8 candidates will be decided on May 23 when counting of votes takes place and the result is declared.
Here is the list of candidates who are contesting from Jorhat Lok Sabha constituency of Assam:
|SR No.||Candidate Name||Party Name|
|1||KANAK GOGOI||Communist Party of India|
|2||TOPON KUMAR GOGOI||Bharatiya Janata Party|
|3||RIBULAYA GOGOI||All India Trinamool Congress|
|4||SUSHANTA BORGOHAIN||Indian National Congress|
|5||KAMALA RAJ KONWAR||National People's Party|
|6||RAJ KUMAR DUWARA||All India Forward Bloc|
|7||ARBIN KUMAR BORUAH||Independent|
In the 2014 Lok Sabha election here, BJP's Kamakhya Prasad Tasa - the then vice president of the party in the state - had defeated Congress' Bijoy Krishna Handique by 102420 votes. Asom Gana Parishad's Prodip Hazarika and CPI's Drupad Borgohain were some of the other contenders in the electoral fight.
In the 2009 Lok Sabha election, the result was the exact opposite with Handique defeating Tasa by a margin of 71,914 votes. The voter turnout here at the time was 64.58 per cent.
Even as voter turnout increased between 2009 and 2014 Lok Sabha elections, the number of polling stations here saw a jump by 215.