LONDON: Britain`s opposition Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn has written to Prime Minister Theresa May, offering to support her Brexit deal if she makes five legally binding commitments – including joining a customs union.
In a follow-up letter sent on Wednesday, he laid out in the clearest terms yet what commitments he is seeking in exchange for offering Labour support.
Below are Labour`s five demands for supporting her deal:
- A permanent customs union. This would include a say in future trade deals.
- Close alignment with the EU`s single market. This would be underpinned by shared institutions and obligations.
- A pledge to keep workers` rights in line with those in the EU.
- Commitments on participation in EU agencies and funding programmes, including in areas such as the environment, education, and industrial regulation.
- Agreements on the detail of future security arrangements, including access to the European Arrest Warrant.