China expects nationwide broadband by 2020
Beijing: China will strive to complete broadband coverage of both urban and rural areas by 2020, the cabinet announced Saturday.
The cabinet elevated national broadband development as a national strategy and announced an implementation timetable for the coming eight years.
The strategy aims to achieve WiFi coverage in key public urban areas by 2013 and fixed broadband coverage for half of Chinese households by 2015, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
Families in some developed cities will enjoy a broadband speed of one Gigabits per second in 2020, the announcement added.
The strategy will be carried out in three phases.
Fiber optic networks and 3G mobile coverage will be facilitated in 2013 while broadband coverage will be expanded from 2014 to 2015.
Broadband network and technology updates will be the key task from 2016 to 2020, it said.
A policy on support for information products and services was released on August 14 in a bid to boost domestic demand and fuel economic growth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cortana for Android available for public beta in US
- Xiaomi Redmi 2 Vs Redmi 2 Prime: Specification comparisons
- Middle class woes to continue, wholesale onion price shoots up to Rs 57 per kg
- Alleged land encroachment in Greater Noida: HC asks DM to decide representation in 3 months
- Watch: Review of Mahindra TUV300