Australia's largest city was also considering more permanent measures such as bollards, garden beds or other landscaping features in Martin Place, which houses a war memorial, the headquarters of the Reserve Bank of Australia, the US Consulate General, a hotel and many luxury retail outlets.
Mark Binskin says the warplanes had been occupied recently supporting Iraqi security forces in retaking the city of Mosul.
Russia said on Monday it would treat US-led coalition aircraft flying west of the River Euphrates in Syria as potential targets and track them with missile systems and military aircraft.
An Australian journalist says he is fine after being hit by a bullet in his neck while covering the Philippine military's assault against militants aligned with the Islamic State group in a southern city.
The ship is on an overseas deployment to the South East Asia and Southern Indian Ocean.
Victoria state police said in a statement on their website that the man had been charged with four offences and would appear in court on June 14.
The unit will be within a maximum-security prison and have capacity for 54 inmates, who will be isolated and intensely monitored, said the state`s Premier Gladys Berejiklian.
Australian counter-terrorism police conducted raids in the southern city of Melbourne on Friday and questioned three men they said were suspected of providing weapons used in a deadly siege this week claimed by the Islamic State group.
An Australian Islamic council has called for taxpayer-funded "safe spaces" so young Muslims can express "inflammatory" views without fear in a move slammed Thursday as troubling and wrong.
The incident came just over a week after Salman Abedi killed 22 people in the suicide bomb attack in Manchester at an Ariana Grande concert.
"The new laws will prohibit registered child sex offenders from leaving Australia or holding Australian passports," Foreign Minister.
The findings into the December 2014 tragedy that shocked the nation followed intense scrutiny of New South Wales police tactics, which have been blasted by families of those who died.
Manus Island is one of two Australian-operated detention centres, which hold nearly 1,300 people who were intercepted trying to reach Australia by boat.
Australia is considering following the United States and Britain in banning laptops from inbound airliner cabins, the prime minister said, but declined to explain whether the move was related to an Islamic State group threat that President Donald Trump discussed with Russian diplomats.
four Muslim women in Australia were allegedly punched in the face by a 39-year-old journalism student from Paraguay.
Australian authorities are preparing to put major cities on `terror lockdown` for the country`s national day of remembrance.
US Vice President Mike Pence said on Saturday the United States would honour a controversial refugee deal with Australia, under which the United States would resettle 1,250 asylum seekers, a deal President Donald Trump had described as "dumb".
The US supercarrier Carl Vinson will arrive in the Sea of Japan in days, Vice President Mike Pence said Saturday in Australia, amid high tensions with North Korea.
Vice President Mike Pence sought to reassure Australia today that the US remains committed to the countries' longtime alliance.
Many were concerned about the potential of an attack similar to those seen in London, Nice and elsewhere around the globe if security was not improved.
The Australia-US-China military exercises are also aimed at Australia charting a course between its most important security ally the United States and its biggest trading partner China.
A new cyclone warning was issued for Australia`s Northern Territory on Tuesday as a slow-moving tropical storm is gathering strength, the media reported.
Natasha Exelby was presenting late-night rolling coverage after 10 pm on Saturday when she was caught daydreaming between segments.
A cyclone that left a trail of destruction in northeast Australia and New Zealand has also damaged one of the few healthy sections of the Great Barrier Reef to have escaped large-scale bleaching, scientists said on Monday.
- All you need to know about operation 'All Out' in J&K
- Two injured in firing outside Jalandhar mall
- Watch: Car catches fire in Bihar's Nalanda, no casualty
- Prez poll: Kovind files nomination; Meira Kumar to challenge him
- Srinagar: Police officer lynched by mob outside Jamia mosque
- ISRO's PSLV-C38 places Cartosat-2 along with 30 nano satellites in orbit
- DNA: Nonstop News
- DNA: Police officer stoned to death by angry mob outside Jamia Masjid in Srinagar
- NEET Result 2017: NEET exam result 2017 declared, check cbseresults.nic.in, cbseneet.nic.in; Navdeep Singh from Punjab tops
- Allahabad High Court quashes Uttar Pradesh govt order, reinstates six Shia Waqf Board members
- WATCH: Jason Roy becomes first man ever to be dismissed for obstructing field in T20Is
- Prabhas’ reaction to SS Rajamouli’s ‘Baahubali 3’ offer is hilarious! WATCH
- BJP leader Bandi Ramesh hacked to death in Karnataka's Ballari
- Day of retirements for New Zealand: Black Caps lose Luke Ronchi, Jeetan Patel on same day
- Tubelight movie review: Even Salman Khan's star power isn’t bright enough to illuminate Kabir Khan's film!
- ISRO successfully plants Cartosat-2 with 30 nano satellites in orbit - This is what PM Modi has to say!
- West Indies vs India, 1st ODI — As it happened...
- Virat Kohli's favourite Ravi Shastri to apply for India job only under one condition
- Government announces names of 30 more smart cities; Thiruvanathapuram tops list
- Srinagar cop stripped naked, stoned to death by angry mob outside Jamia Masjid; 2 arrested
- Mohammad Nabi thanks BCCI for helping Afghanistan get Test status; hopes to play first 5-day match against India
- Subramanian Swamy says security cover given to Mirwaiz Umar Farooq should be revoked
- WATCH: The Great Khali's protegee Kavita Devi makes history, all set to become first Indian woman ever to fight in WWE