2G: CBI prosecutor removed, found scheming with accused Sanjay Chandra
Quotes

2G: CBI prosecutor removed, found scheming with accused Sanjay Chandra

Last Updated: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 09:03
 
 Comment 2
 
2G: CBI prosecutor removed, found scheming with accused Sanjay Chandra
New Delhi: CBI has removed a public prosecutor from the 2G spectrum case after he was allegedly caught in a taped conversation discussing prosecution strategy with one of the high-profile accused Sanjay Chandra, Managing Director of Unitech.

An English news channel tonight played the audio tape of the purported conversation between A K Singh, the CBI prosecutor and Chandra in which Singh purportedly suggests how a key prosecution witness would depose in the special court hearing the 2G case.

The suspected voice on the tape, said to been recorded in September last year, is also even detailing a three-judge Supreme Court judgement which could be used as a reference in the legal strategy.

CBI said tonight that Singh has been removed from the 2G case trial's prosecution team and a Preliminary Enquiry has been registered to verify these allegations.

The court has been informed about the developments, the spokesperson said, adding another prosecutor has been appointed to the team to assist in the ongoing trial.

"The CBI maintains strict vigilance over its officers and the prosecution and no instance of professional misconduct is taken lightly," the CBI said in a statement.

A PE has been registered and both Singh and Chandra four days ago and both of them were questioned in the CBI headquarters on Monday in connection with the case.

In its reaction, Unitech rejected the allegations saying Chandra has never met the prosecutor in the 2G case outside the court or had any phone conversation with him.

Unitech denied that Chandra's voice was on any alleged recording and said it appeared a fabricated voice recording had been sent anonymously to CBI.

"It is nothing but an attempt to malign him and prejudice his defence in the 2G case," the Unitech statement said.
CBI Director Ranjit Sinha said since the prosecutor has come under a cloud, he has been transferred from the case. Unless the inquiry is completed, CBI cannot take action against Singh, he said.

Sinha said while he cannot confirm the genuineness of the tape, prima facie it appeared to be true. But only a forensic examination would give the correct picture, he said.

The CBI Director also ruled out the case being compromised and said a "trivial aberration" by one person cannot compromise the "honesty and integrity" of the investigation agency.

PTI



First Published: Monday, February 11, 2013, 22:09


Comments


comments powered by Disqus
India`s top ten billionaires
India`s top ten billionaires
Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana - In Pics
Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana - In Pics
Apple Smartwatch unveiled
Apple Smartwatch unveiled
Apple iPhone 6, iPhone 6 plus
Apple iPhone 6, iPhone 6 plus
Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook
Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook

Web Wrap
Contact Us : Privacy Policy : Legal Disclaimer
Copyright © Zee Media Corporation Ltd. All rights reserved