MELBOURNE: Long-serving Cricket Australia boss James Sutherland said on Wednesday he would be stepping down from his role as chief executive next year.
The 52-year-old, who took up the role in 2001, resigns amid reviews into the cricket board and the national men`s team triggered by the Cape Town ball-tampering scandal.
"Today, I`m announcing my intention to stand down as chief executive of Cricket Australia and in advising ... the board of this decision, I`ve provided 12 months notice," Sutherland told a news conference in Melbourne.
"My view has always been that I would like to go out on my terms, but at the same time, I want to go out in such a way that allows the game to make a smooth transition."
Sutherland, who also oversaw a bitter dispute with the players over a new pay deal last year, said the ball-tampering affair had not "had a bearing" on his decision.
CA banned captain Steve Smith and vice-captain David Warner, while batsman Cameron Bancroft was suspended for nine months for their roles in the scandal, which resulted in some sponsors walking away from the game.
"We`ve had some big, big things to deal with over the course of the last 12 months," Sutherland added.
"Obviously, there`s Cape Town, but there are also some key planks that are now in place that allow me to step aside and for a new chief executive to come in and have a really strong platform from which to operate and take the game forward."
CA chairman David Peever said he had wanted Sutherland to stay on to finish up negotiations for the new six-year, billion-dollar broadcasting deal, which was announced in April.
The board has already started the process of finding a replacement, Peever added.
"I`d like to thank James for his wonderful service to the game," Peever said.
"James has done an incredible job and has always carried himself with integrity, humility, and dignity.
"He is, without doubt, the best sporting administrator in Australia and the best in world cricket."