Abida Parveen gets lifetime achievement award
New Delhi: Sufi legend Abida Parveen was honoured with a lifetime achievement award here by Kaladharmi Begum Akhtar Academy of Ghazal.
Abida is an internationally acclaimed Pakistani singer of Sindhi descent and one of the foremost exponents of Sufi music.
Her songs include mainly ghazals, Urdu love tracks and her forte, Kafis, a classical form of Sufi poetry. Some of her hits are `Duma Dum Mast Qalandar`, `Teray Ishaq Nachaya`, `Latthe Di Chadar`, `Kuch Is Ada Se Aaj` and `Kafian Bulleh Shah`.
"I am honoured to receive a lifetime achievement award from the Begum Akhtar Academy of Ghazal. It is always and a proud moment when I get an award. Thank you," said Abida, who received the award from Tripurari Sharan, Director General, Doordarshan.
After recieving the award, the 58-year-old was requested by her fans to sing, to which she obliged and enthralled the audience with her famous rendition `Lal meri pat rakhiyo bhala jhoole laalan`.
Born in a musical family, Abida received initial training from her father Ustaad Ghulam Haider which created the basis for her career.
She began her career with Radio Pakistan and gained new fans following her appearance in `Coke Studio`, a TV music programme that showcases collaborations between classical and rock artists.
During her career, Abida has been awarded both the `Pride of Performance` and the `Sitara-e-Imtiaz` by the Government of Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am completely against banning Pakistani actors in India: Dibakar Banerjee
- Riteish Deshmukh just tweeted the most cutesy message for his 'baiko' Genelia!
- Soha Ali Khan bats for stronger laws against animal cruelty
- Karanvir Bohra and wifey Teejay Sidhu blessed with twin daughters!
- 'Bigg Boss' 10: We bet you haven’t seen these family pictures of Priyanka Jagga Muise!
- Malfoy from Harry Potter left mighty impressed with acid attack survivors' cafe in India!
- Little things in Paris inspire me: Rocky S
- Diwali 2016: This festive season buy these gadgets for your kids
- On Karva Chauth, applying mehendi goes sky-high
- Donald Trump documentary: Michael Moore releases ‘Michael Moore in TrumpLand’