Bharat Ratna to Sachin comes not a day too early: Lata Mangeshkar
Mumbai: Cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar will be awarded the Bharat Ratna and legendary playback singer Lata Mangeshkar, who was accorded the country`s top-most civilian honour in 2001, couldn`t contain her joy and excitement on hearing the news.
"I`ve been saying Sachin deserves the Bharat Ratna for three years now. The Indian government couldn`t have chosen a more opportune moment to award Bharat Ratna to Sachin," said Lata.
The government made the Bharat Ratna announcement soon after Tendulkar walked out of the pavilion after playing his 200th Test match in Mumbai. Crowned with India`s top civilian honour, Tendulkar goes down in history as the first sportsperson and the youngest recipient of the award till date, surpassing late prime minister Rajiv Gandhi`s record.
"Right now the public`s emotions and sentiments for Sachin are at the highest peak. On Friday, Sachin walked out of the field for the last time. The nation wept to see him go. Believe me, I`ve never seen anything like this before. The emotional farewell for Sachin has now been endorsed by the Bharat Ratna. I am very happy he received it now when he is so young and has so many years ahead to enjoy the honour," said Lata.
But Tendulkar`s decision to retire at 40 rankles Lata.
"I still say, Sachin had a few years of very good cricket within him. And I am sure everyone agrees with me. The crowds at the Wankhede Stadium were cheering for Sachin as though they wanted him to go on playing."
"When after his farewell match, someone asked me how long Sachin could have gone on playing, I said he should`ve played for another year. But now I feel he could have played for two more years at least," said Lata.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sam Smith using an app to speak after surgery
- Sexually abused women often take surgery too far: Jane Fonda
- Dwayne Johnson officiates fans wedding
- Cobie Smulders stars in 'Unexpected' trailer
- New mothers under too much of pressure: Kimberly Wyatt
- 'Supergirl' won't have cross over with 'Arrow' and 'The Flash'
- 'Cooties' trailer unveiled
- Time has come to quit 'Doctors': Ian Kelsey
- Nick Nolte to play disgraced US president in new series
- 'Heroes Reborn' brings back Greg Grunberg
- Ed Sheeran receives hilarious emails from Elton John
- Katy Perry to release new album by 2016
- Musical fund-raising event for Nepal quake victims
- Taylor Swift's 'Bad Blood' breaks Vevo record with 20.1m views in 1day
- Paul McCartney pens new songs for film adaptation of his book
- Taylor Swift's 'Bad Blood' breaks Vevo record
- 'Love birds' Taylor Swift, Calvin Harris plan to write song together
- Zayn Malik's fiancee feels 'naked' sans ring
- How 'Zaroori tha' became vital for 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'?
- Taylor Swift, Calvin Harris plan to write song together
- Sawyer Fredericks wins 'The Voice' season 8
- Jazz musician Bob Belden dies
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door