Clooney slams newspaper over `irresponsible` marriage story
London: Superstar George Clooney has accused a British newspaper of "irresponsibility" after it claimed his fiancee`s mother opposes their marriage on religious grounds.
Earlier this week, the tabloid claimed Amal Alamuddin`s mother, Baria, wished her daughter to be married within the relatively small Druze sect, reportedly.
Clooney, 53, said the report published by the tabloid had been "negligent" in "exploit(ing) religious differences where none exist".
"Freedom of speech can be an inconvenience to (his) private life. We have family members all over the world, and the idea that someone would inflame any part of that world for the sole reason of selling papers should be criminal," he said.
The Druze are a religious sect whose beliefs are based on Islam but also incorporate elements of other religions.
The `Monuments Men` got engagement to Alamuddin, a London-based barrister, in April this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Noted Yakshagana artiste Gerukatte Gangaiah Shetty collapses on stage, dies
- Former Miss India Priyadarshini Chatterjee fights for child abuse victim
- Salman Khan feels grounded, all thanks to family and friends!
- Anushka Sharma has found her long-term goal!
- Twinkle Khanna gets a hair makeover and we are crushing on it!