Hema Malini campaigns for being vegetarian
Kolkata: Politician and long-time animal defender Hema Malini, who has campaigned for a ban on horse carriages from the streets of Mumbai, stars in a brand-new ad for her friends at People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) India.
Smiling beautifully into the camera next to the words "I Am Hema Malini, and I Am Vegetarian", she says, "Being vegetarian is the best road to good health."
Malini, who has appeared in more than 150 films in a stellar career spanning four decades, says "Knowing that my food choices are helping the planet and animals, too, makes me happy," according to a PETA release here today.
In 2009, she had written on PETA`s behalf to the Mumbai Municipal Commissioner urging him to ban cruel and dangerous horse carriages from the city`s busy streets.
Also, following Malini`s plea to the government to end the cruel sport of `jallikattu`, the Ministry of Environment and Forests issued a notification that bulls can no longer be used as "performing animals".
Malini was named PETA`s Person of the Year in 2011 for her animal-protection work.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- This emotional Instagram post by Arbaaz Khan talks about introspection
- Check out: Rani Mukerji’s first public appearance after baby Adira’s birth
- Adhyayan never said Kangana Ranaut practices black magic, says father Shekhar Suman
- 'Captain America: Civil War' movie review
- Five reasons why ‘Sairat’ starring Rinku Rajguru and Akash Thosar is a ‘must watch’
- Interesting! Which Greek goddess were you in past life?
- How ambitious are you? Your heel size will reveal
- This viral puzzle is making the internet go crazy! Can you solve this?
- Rio 2016 Olympic Games: This ad will make you hug your mom, thank her for all what she has done for you
- Mahabharata’s Bhima was married to a rakshasi – Do you know who she is