Historian Bipan Chandra is dead
New Delhi: Noted Indian historian Bipan Chandra died in his sleep Saturday morning, family members said. He was 86.
He died at his home in Gurgaon.
The former professor of history was also considered to be an authority on Mahatma Gandhi.
Author of several books such as 'The Making of Modern India: From Marx to Gandhi', 'History of Modern India' and 'The Rise and Growth of Economic Nationalism in India', Chandra was also the former chairman of the National Book Trust (2004-12).
Congress leader Naveen Jindal mourned his death and tweeted: "Sad to hear about the passing away of noted historian Bipan Chandra. May his soul rest in peace."
Chiki Sarkar, publisher at Penguin Books India, said: "He was one of our (Penguin India's) most respected authors and whose books on Indian history have been read by generations of readers. We mourn his passing."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cheers! Your evening drink may work as anti-depressant
- Zee Entertainment announces foray into radio
- Relax! Humans need more rest for better well-being
- Amul's 'Fawad Thinking' ad on MNS ban is what you MUST SEE this morning!
- Navratri Special: Send Goddess Durga's blessings to your loved ones with these TOP 10 WhatsApp messages!