Racist tweets dog Indian-American Miss America Nina Davuluri
Atlantic City: Moments after making history as the first Indian American to be crowned Miss America, the 24-year-old Miss New York Nina Davuluri faced a barrage of racist tweets on the Internet.
"If you`re #Miss America, you should have to be American," said one as cited by CNN.
"WHEN WILL A WHITE WOMAN WIN #MISSAMERICA? Ever??!!" screamed another.
Davuluri is also the first beauty queen of Indian descent to serve as Miss New York.
But instead of focusing on how a New Yorker had won the beauty pageant for the second consecutive year, the tweets were about Davuluri`s heritage, CNN noted.
"Well, they just picked a Muslim for Miss America. That must`ve made Obama happy. Maybe he had a vote," vented one person cited by CNN pointing that Davuluri was not a Muslim and the president didn`t have a vote.
Davuluri herself brushed aside the negative comments saying: "I have to rise above that."
"I always viewed myself as first and foremost American," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bipasha Basu's latest fashion summer hack will give you style goals – See pic
- Shah Rukh Khan's son Aryan Khan parties hard at graduation bash! – Pics inside
- Men are from Mars and women from Venus, indeed – Here’s a proof
- Sooraj Pancholi flaunts toned abs, credits 'Rocky Balboa' Sylvester Stallone as his biggest inspiration – See pic
- Celina Jaitly sizzles in elegant black gown and red lips at red carpet in Dubai – See pic