Soha Ali Khan, Virat Kohli brand ambassadors for Delhi assembly poll
New Delhi: Focussing on drawing the youth, the Delhi Election Commission Thursday unveiled its theme "Dil me hain Dilli. Vote karenge" and brand ambassadors actresses Soha Ali Khan and Toral Rasputa, of `Balika Vadhu` fame, and cricketer Virat Kohli for the Dec 4 assembly poll.
The three have been roped in for the campaign to influence the young voters to exercise their franchise.
"I equate the right to vote as a luxury for which our forefathers fought. We should not take it for granted," Soha said at the unveiling of the theme.
"I appeal to everyone especially the youth to come out and vote on election day and not treat it as just another holiday," she added.
According to chief electoral officer Vijay Dev, the commission is spreading awareness among the voters of Delhi to ensure that the polling is "ethical, informed and 100 percent".
"All our efforts are directed towards the voters. To educate and inform them in detail about the election process as well as the candidates that they would be voting for," he said.
"The average voting percentage in Delhi hovers around 55 to 60 and we want to increase this to 100," he added.
The capital will see a three-way contest in the assembly elections between the Congress, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and the newly-floated AAP. The Congress has ruled Delhi since 1998.
The counting of votes will take place Dec 8.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Madhur Bhandarkar takes expert advice from Subramanian Swamy for film on emergency? View pics
- In Pics: Remember 'Hip Hip Hurray'? This is what its star-cast looks like now!
- Trailer out! Salman Khan, Anushka Sharma's 'Sultan' will leave you with goosebumps – Watch now
- 'Comedy Nights' needed a 'Bachao' from Akshay Kumar over racist jokes on Lisa Haydon? Details inside
- Being a mom tops my priority list, says Aishwarya Rai Bachchan
- Best of your sex life begins at 40!
- Paris Jackson gets tattoo in honour of father Michael Jackson
- This Shiva Temple in Pakistan dates back to the times of Mahabharata
- Ever heard of banana tea? Watch why it is great for your sleep!
- Hooked to selfies because you think you are attractive – here’s a reality check