Ganesh Pyne- The king of dark imagery
Kolkata: Painter Ganesh Pyne was one of the greatest exponents of the Bengal School of art, whose dark and brooding imagery got him international fame, premium prices and substantial influence among contemporaries and juniors in India through the decades.
Often called the "painter of darkness", the surreal elements and depth in Pyne`s work have been a big draw among art lovers, and people standing still for longer durations before his creations than of the others was a common sight at exhibitions spread across Asia, Europe and North America.
The 1937-born Pyne once said the scene of a stark naked corpse of an old woman with blood oozing from her breasts and a shining necklace around the neck during the 1946 communal riots in (then called) Calcutta had shaken him so much that he remained "obsessed with the dark world " throughout his life.
Fond of drawing and doodling since his childhood, Pyne grew up in a decaying mansion in a north Calcutta lane listening to folk tales from his grandmother, which opened "my third eye and turned out to be my biggest inspiration".
He graduated from the Government College of Art and Craft in Calcutta in 1959, deeply influenced by Abanindranath Tagore, one of the father figures of modern Indian art, as also Hals Rembrandt and Paul Klee.
For some time, Pyne sketched animation films in a studio, with Walt Disney casting a spell on him.
Four years later, he joined the Society of Contemporary Artists, and his first painting was "Winter`s Morning" which showed him and his brother going to school.
Not having enough money to buy colour, he concentrated on small drawings in pen and ink. After some time, he experimented with water colours in the Bengal School mode, with the anger and despair of the 1970s fuelling one of the fruitful periods of his life as an artist.
Pyne later moved on to the gouache and tempera form of painting, with the latter earning him maximum plaudits.
Boats, dark doors and windows, misty mornings, wayside temples, birdman, Chaitanya (leader of the Bhakti movements) and animals were Pyne`s favourite subjects, and his creations rich in imagery and symbolism.
He revelled in bold, precise, lines, displaying a masterly control over the drawings -- powerful both in form and content -- using with a telling effect his favourite ochre and shades of black and blue colours to suggest dark events.
He participated in various group exhibitions including the Paris Biennale in 1969, contemporary Indian Painting in West Germany (1970), as also various other shows in Europe, Asia and North America.
Pyne was not as prolific as others in the field, but his works have deeply influenced contemporary and younger painters, and he has been variously described as "artists of artists" and "philosopher of philosophers".
"He gave a new dimension to modernity," said artist Suvaprasanna.
"The twaine of tradition and modernity met in his works," said painter Jogen Chowdhury.
Pyne`s creations always sold at premium prices.
Years back, artist Anjali Ela Menon was asked how it felt to be the highest paid artist in India. She replied: "This ranking by the price you fetch is odious. In terms of square inch price, Ganesh Pyne would rank first."
Pyne was also widely feted. He received the Shiromani Puraskar in 1985, the Birla Academy of Art and Culture award in 1973, besides being conferred Raja Ravi Varma award by the Kerala government. Last year, he was presented the ICC Lifetime Achievement Award.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Michael Caine 'never tempted to stray' from wife
- I don't jump out of a trunk naked in 'The Duff': Ken Jeong
- 'Indian Idol Junior' sets ball rolling with Bollywood music
- Boman Irani, Sonu Sood to share relationship secrets on Farah Khan's show
- Ahsaan Qureshi in talks for 'Tu Mera Hero'?
- Azharuddin trains Emraan for biopic 'Azhar'
- Still in discussion: Ekta Kapoor on female lead of 'Azhar'
- 'PK', joint productions create Bollywood buzz in China
- Musical fund-raising event for Nepal quake victims
- Neha Sharma to romance John Abraham in 'Hera Pheri 3'
- I was called silly for doing 'Fashion': Priyanka Chopra
- Anupam Kher 'admires honesty' of body shamers
- Popular porn film carries message about testicular cancer
- Alanis Morissette believes breastfeeding can be `intimidating`
- Pamela Anderson says `learned a lesson` after divorcing Rick Salomon again
- Ashton Kutcher: Don't print paparazzi pics of my baby girl
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Being Human 'Veer Campaign' to help in skill training 5 lakh people with disabilities
- This is why Cara Delevingne hates modelling industry
- Kim K to her career critics: 'Try it. I dare you'
- Novelist F Scott Fitzgerald's 'Gatsby' home up for grabs
- Taylor Swift's ex beau Joe Jonas finds Gigi Hadid dating rumors funny
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly