International Sufi artists to perform at Kolkata music fest
Kolkata: Soulful Sufi and mystic music from Egypt, Bulgaria, Turkey, the Netherlands, Pakistan and India is set to enthrall music lovers at the Kolkata leg of the 12th All India Sufi and Mystic Music Festival at the Tollygunge Club here Dec 8.
Titled `Ruhaniyat`, the musical celebration, will be held in nine cities this year with Raipur and Ahmedabad being the new additions.
"The international forms featuring this year include the Dancing Dervishes from Egypt and the Vaya Quartet from Bulgaria," said a representative of Banyan Tree Events, responsible for organising the fest.
Dancing Dervishes from Egypt will perform the Egyptian Sufi folk dance called Tannoura while the Vaya Quartet will enthrall audiences with their polyphonic sounds.
Indian traditions, which will be showcased at the event, include Bharud and Abhang from Maharashtra, Mystic Ravanhatta Ensemble from Rajasthan and best of Sufi qawwali artists from Rajasthan and Andhra Pradesh, among others.
The unique initiative will also bring to the fore dramatic narration of mystic tales from Mahabharata by performers from Chattisgarh, baul songs from West Bengal and drums from Kerala.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajkummar Rao, Kriti Sanon team up for 'Bareilly Ki Barfi'
- Sanjay Leela Bhansali to compose music for 'Padmavati'
- Janmashtami special—Celebrate Krishna's birth with these top 5 Bollywood tracks!
- Tiger Shroff wants to do clean, noble characters
- Film with Shah Rukh Khan at very premature stage: Kangana Ranaut
- Christie's exhibition to highlight works of Raza, Gaitonde
- UN to issue stamp to mark Bharat Ratna MS Subbulakshmi's birth centenary
- S H Raza was a secularist in the true sense: Fraternity
- Legendary artist S H Raza passes away
- Revealed! Vincent Van Gogh cut off his ear and gave it to Gabrielle Berlatier