Long-running Broadway musical `Chicago` to close after 15 years
London: Broadway show named ‘Chicago’, which has been running for nearly 15 years, will come to an end in London`s West End.
The show, which has featured guest stars such as Christie Brinkley, Brooke Shields, David Hasselhoff and Ugly Betty’s America Ferrara, will give its final London performance on 1st September.
The musical has taken more than 120 million pounds at the West End box office. The show was also made into an Oscar-winning film in 2002.
Barry Weissler, who along with his wife Fran produced the show around the world, revealed that bringing the production to the West End was a "pivotal moment" in their career.
"Running 15 years has been a dream come true," a news channel has quoted him as saying.
"We may be taking our parting shots for now, but the Razzle Dazzle will never fade,” he said.
Currently, it runs at the Garrick Theatre. The show, which opened in November 1997 with Ruthie Henshall, Ute Lemper, Henry Goodman and Nigel Planer in the main roles, holds the record as the West End`s longest-running revival.
Henshall revealed that she was sad to hear the show was closing.
"I have amazing memories of the best female roles in musical theatre. Truly blessed to have been a part of it,” she tweeted.
John Kander, Composer of the musical insisted that he would be thankful to London audience to embrace the show for 15 long years.
"The fact that the London audience has embraced our show for 15 years fills me with gratitude and pride,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ‘Comedy Nights Bachao Tazaa’ to be replaced by THIS comedian’s show?
- Zaira Wasim ‘apology’ post row: J&K government may provide security to ‘Dangal’ star
- Hrithik Roshan's latest 'Kaabil' dialogue promo has megastar Amitabh Bachchan's connect!
- Amitabh Bachchan is the greatest actor that we have in the country: Rishi Kapoor
- Totally Clooed! Karan Johar meets George Clooney; poses for a click!
- Jallikattu ban: More Tamil celebrities lend support for traditional sport
- Raj Kapoor loved his cinema, booze, leading ladies: Rishi Kapoor
- Makar Sankranti, Pongal, Bihu wishes throng Twitter; look who said what!
- Book on Swami Vivekananda launched on his 154th birth anniversary
- How to organise a Lohri party?