Mumbai`s Kala Ghoda art fest begins
Mumbai: Known for its popular mix of art, music, dance and culture programmes spanning many venues in south Mumbai, the 15th edition of the Kala Ghoda Art Festival is set for a cultural sojourn starting Saturday.
The nine-day annual festival attracts over a lakh visitors every year. "This year our workshops, literary events, dance programmes, art shows and other events will the follow a central theme, Change," said Kayomi Engineer, administrative director of the festival.
Organised by the Kala Ghoda Association, the festival has an interesting lineup of visual arts, dance, music, theatre, cinema, literature, lectures, heritage walks and special events for children.
This time the heritage walk will be with archaeologist Shraddha Bhatawadekar through the World Heritage Site Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST) and the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC), designed in Victorian Gothic Revival architecture.
"Kala Ghoda is a historic precinct and has most numbers of heritage sites. Be it the CST or BMC or the General Post Office (GPO) building, every inch of it speaks volumes of our heritage and this is one aspect that makes the festival popular," Engineer said.
The free open-air dance and music performances and stalls by non-profit groups, locals and tourists is a major attraction.
The festival`s rich visual arts section also helps create a safe zone for artists to set up quirky and easily digestible installations and sculptures, which could well be the first exposure to art for many of the visitors.
"The festival has become magnanimous in its appeal. We feel this festival is for everyone in this city who work hard and would love to relax in the beauty of art. I will call this festival a celebration of the art," Engineer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Lipstick Under My Burkha': CBFC stalls film; cites 'audio pornography', 'abusive words' reasons to refuse certification
- Karan Johar's throwback picture from DEBUT role will blow your mind!
- Malayalam actress molestation case: Actress resumes work
- Anupam Kher wraps shooting for 'The Indian Detective' in Cape Town
- Aamir Khan's 'Thugs of Hindostan' look NOT revealed yet!
- Amitabh Bachchan to felicitate Birju Maharaj at Vasantotsav
- Maha Shivaratri 2017: Sudarsan Pattnaik pays tribute to Lord Shiva with sand art
- Mahashivaratri: TV celebs on how Lord Shiva inspires them
- Maha Shivaratri 2017: How to celebrate this auspicious day if you are working
- Veteran Arun Kakade selected for META Lifetime Achievement