Sangeet Natak Akademi awards for Hariprasad Chaurasia, Amjad Ali Khan
New Delhi: Flutist Hariprasad Chaurasia, santoor player Shivkumar Sharma, sarod player Amjad Ali Khan and Manipuri dance guru Rajkumar Singhajit Singh are among the 11 personalities who will be conferred the prestigious Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowships by President Pranab Mukherjee Oct 9 in the capital.
They will receive purse money of Rs.3 lakh and a citation.
Other fellows include mridangam player Umayalpuram Kasiviswanatha Sivaraman, Kalamandalam Gopi (kathakali artist), Padma Subrahmanyam (Bharatnatyam dancer), Chandrasekhar Basavanneppa Kambara (Kannada poet, playwright and folklorist) and Manipuri theatre personality Heisnam Kanhailal.
Currently, the Sangeet Natak Akademi has 40 living fellows.
Altogether, 36 artists will receive the Akademi awards for their contribution to performing arts and music, a statement by the ministry of culture said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Berlin International Film Festival: Amar Kaushik’s ‘Aaba’ wins international jury award
- Aashka Goradia to marry fiancé Brent Goble this year
- Farida Jalal slams death rumours, says ‘I am hale and hearty’
- Alia Bhatt celebrates grandmother’s 88th birthday, gives us some relationship goals
- Brangelina split: We're a family and we'll always be a family, says Angelina Jolie