`Khiladi 786` is my comeback as a `Khiladi`: Akshay Kumar
Mumbai: After a gap of 12 years, actor Akshay Kumar, is all set to stage his comeback as Bollywood`s original `Khiladi` in yet another film from the action-comedy series, titled as `Khiladi 786`.
After string of films in the `Khiladi` series, comprising Khiladi (1992), Main Khiladi Tu Anari (93), Sabse Bada Khiladi (95), Khiladiyon Ka Khiladi (96), Mr and Mrs Khiladi (97), International Khiladi (99) and Khiladi 420 (2000), the 45-year-old star is eager to reclaim the tag with the film, which releases on December 7 this year.
"I never thought I will be doing one more (film) ‘Khiladi’ because for quite a few years action films were out of fashion and I was also doing comedy films. This is my eighth Khiladi film... After almost 12 years I am doing a khiladi film. So you call it my comeback as a Khiladi," Akshay told reporters in Mumbai at the trailer launch of the film in Mumbai.
"I feel great about it. It had never gone away from me, I always used to take risks and its great because Khiladi is a word which means a player, a sportsman. You can connect it with anything, so its great coming back to it," he said.
Khiladi 786 is directed by debutant Ashish R Mohan (assistant director in Rohit Shetty`s Golmaal series), and stars Akshay, Asin, Paresh Rawal and Himesh Reshammiya in lead roles.
"786 mean something which has to do with your destiny. Muslims use 786 as a substitute for the phrase ‘in the name of Allah’. And Khiladi 786 is an action comedy film which you will enjoy," Akshay said.
Akshay couldn’t stop thanking director duo Abbas-Mustan, who directed Khiladi and producers – Ratan Jain and Keshu Ramsay, who had been backing movies made in the series.
“It was Abbas-Mustan who believed in me when I started my career in this film industry. I would thank them for earning this tag. Wherever I go everyone calls me with this name only. I would also like to thank Ratan Jain and Keshu Ramsay who have given me many Khiladi films," he said.
“I did so many Khiladi films and I also did a television show called Khatron Ke Khiladi. I am happy to be part of all these things,” he said.
When asked who will he like to pass the Khiladi tag to, in the industry, Akshay says, "In Bollywood, may be after 24 years I will pass this tag to my son."
Music composer-turned-singer-producer Himesh Reshammiya was all praise for the leading man.
"I think there is only one khiladi in this industry and that is Akshay Kumar. It is the only brand which has been ruling the box office since long. And in Khiladi 786 you will see an entertaining Akshay Kumar..different from what you have seen in Oh My God!,” Himesh, who is the co-producer of the film, said.
"My collaboration with Akshay goes a long way.. we worked together in Namastey London and the music of the film along with the film became a blockbuster," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Janatha Garage', 'Kirik Party' bag top honours at IIFA Utsavam 2017
- My mother is Divyanka Tripathi's fan, says Sonakshi Sinha
- Alia Bhatt on latest Grazia cover is UNMISSABLE!
- Academy retains PwC, takes steps to avoid another Oscars fiasco
- Kareena Kapoor Khan and Karisma Kapoor's shopping PIC defines sister squad goals!
- Meri Pyaari Bindu FIRST LOOK out! Parineeti Chopra and Ayushmann Khurrana set for a quirky tale
- Aamir Khan to sign a whopping Rs 20 cr 'Dangal' deal with Netflix?
- Salman Khan wraps up first schedule of 'Tiger Zinda Hai', bids goodbye to freezing Austria!
- Anushka Sharma – Diljit Dosanjh starrer ‘Phillauri’ keeps ‘spirits’ high, earns moderately at Box Office
- Phillauri box office report: Anushka Sharma's 'ghostly' avatar mints Rs 19 cr so far!