‘Dhoom 3’ Review: A spectacular Aamir Khan fiesta!
‘Dhoom 3’ is one of the most anticipated sequels in the year 2013, and the reason is that for the first time Aamir Khan plays a negative lead. The director, Vijay Krishna Acharya makes it work in wonderful ways for the movie. It’s an Aamir fiesta all the way!
Iqbal (Jackie Shroff), a magician and modern circus owner, has a huge debt from a popular American bank, Western Chicago Bank, in the 1990s. After his only dream – ‘The Great Indian Circus’- is broken, Iqbal commits suicide. Aamir Khan, who plays his son Sahir, decides to avenge his father’s death by making sure that the bank closes down due to repeated robberies. What leaves the police perplexed is how the robber manages to escape every single time pulling off fantastic bike stunts and appearing out of nowhere. The only clue he leaves is a note in Hindi on the walls of the bank he has looted.
Then come, two cops (Jai and Ali) from India to solve this series of robberies in Chicago. To reveal any more would be to give away spoilers. All that can be added is, Sahir has some great tricks up his sleeve and the movie’s plot enthrals owing to these very twists.
The back story is well established by the writer and it delivers all the action and the speed that the ‘Dhoom’ franchise promises. The stunts on the bike and even in the circus scenes are very well made and shot. The technical team should also be lauded for seamless special effects. All the action sequences, especially the introduction scene and the climax are gripping and you wouldn’t even risk blinking, just in case you miss something. It must be pointed out that though the influence of the Hollywood is there in the movie, but the stunt direction looks original and keeps the Bollywood masala intact.
Acharya has made sure that the star power of Aamir is never underutilized and the superstar has given it all. His expressions and the shift in the character’s body language are intriguing and you realise why he is called a perfectionist. The sensitive and acting centric movies are Aamir’s main strength, but roles like this prove that he can be a tough competition to the other Khans if he comes round to doing more commercial cinema.
For instance the ‘Dhoom Tap’ dance sequence has been choreographed very well, and although Khan is not better than Hrithik, he has done a fairly good job with it. ‘Malang, touted to be the most expensive song sequence shot in Bollywood, has excellent acrobatics by both Katrina and Aamir.
Abhishek and Uday did not get as big an ear splitting welcome as Aamir, but they kept the audience happy during the most crucial parts of the movie – the chase sequences. The film slacks in the second half when Aamir-Katrina love sequence is being played out. But, it picks up speed again in the last 45 minutes or so. The writers have managed to space out all the twists and action throughout the movie even though it seems that the editing could have been tauter.
The movie has its flaws; there are times when you wish that the emotions could have been done away with. Uday Chopra and Katrina Kaif have little to do with the movie. Katrina looks stunning in every scene but the script offered her nothing more. Uday has his moments as the comic relief. The second half does tend to annoy a bit, and the only big dampener one might feel is that the movie runs a little too long - almost for 3 hours.
‘Dhoom 3’ manages to deliver a typically Bollywood revenge saga in a modern way. The suspense and the emotional quotient added to the speed and stunts make the movie as spectacular as it promises to be. Acharya brings to the audience an enthralling script and executes it equally well. The movie is sure to keep you hooked; go and watch it for Aamir!
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Feel sad to not see KKR at Eden: Shah Rukh Khan
- Anushka Sharma feels 'terrible' on being sick, misses fun with DDD boys
- Anil Kapoor, Ranveer Singh cheer for MI, Farhan Akhtar wants to catch a sixer
- Anushka Sharma has evolved as an actor, person: Ranveer Singh
- Haryana to set up three museums
- 'Mohenjodaro' wraps up 101 days of shoot in Bhuj
- 'Dil Dhadakne Do' a world-class film: Anil Kapoor
- Every single child is unique: Priyanka Chopra
- Salman Khan to attend sister's reception in Himachal
- 'Andaaz' clocks 12 years; Priyanka Chopra, Lara Dutta nostalgic
- Dwayne Johnson sets selfie world record
- Dhanush, Vetrimaaran team up for third time
- Retrospective pays tribute to Rabindranath Tagore
- Regina to romance Vishnu Manchu in his next
- Kamal Haasan's next titled Cheekati Rajyam' in Telugu
- Jimmy Shergill's Punjabi film 'Shareek' to release in October
- Akshara Haasan approached for Sandakozhi 2'
- Late actress's brother upset with Kerala ex-minister
- Puri Jagannath to work with Nithiin before Chiranjeevi
- Jyotika's comeback film rakes in over Rs.8 crore
- Small role in Mahesh Babu's film means a lot: Tejaswini
- Karan Johar praises 'Baahubali - The Beginning'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27