I am not an intelligent actress: Mahie Gill
Mumbai: After winning critical acclaim for her roles in `Dev D`, `Saheb Biwi Aur Gangster`, `Paan Singh Tomar`, actress Mahie Gill says she is confused about her standing in Bollywood as new roles are not coming her way.
"I don`t know if I have cemented my position in the industry. Like when I go out, industry people tell me I am good and an intelligent actress. But people only talk and don`t give me work. So I fail to understand as to what they are telling is truth or not," Mahie told reporters.
The 37-year-old actress, who essayed Paro in `Dev D`, a beghum in `Saheb Biwi Aur Gangster` and a small town wife in `Paan Singh Tomar` says she is happy that this genre too is seeing commercial success.
"I am confused. I don`t know where I am in the industry today. But luckily films `Saheb Biwi Aur Gangster`, `Paan Singh Tomar` have started getting commercial success today," she said.
According to Mahie, she stumbled upon out-of-box roles by chance.
"People think I am an intelligent actress and they think of giving me those kinds of roles. I am not an intelligent actress... It just happened," she said.
Mahie feels that Anurag Kashyap-directed `Dev D` not only revived experimental cinema but also showed that it can be commercial successful.
"I have grown up watching Yash Chopra`s films. I was not aware if this kind of cinema exists. Earlier, there were times when Hrishikesh Mukherjee used to make that kind of cinema. For some time this kind of films were not getting made. I think after `Dev D` a new age of cinema came in," she said.
Mahie had won 2010 Filmfare Critics Award for best actress for her character `Paro` in `Dev D`.
The actress, who started her career in Punjabi films, says intimacy on screen is getting more realistic these days and she is not averse to it, provided such scenes are complementary to the film plot.
Mahie shed her inhibitions in films like `Not A Love Story`, `Saheb Biwi Aur Gangster` to show her bold side.
"I think a little bit of intimacy and romance is there now as you can`t fool audience. People want to watch realistic scenes and films. May be in my films there are a couple of scenes like that (bold) but when people come out after watching that film, it is the subject that remains in their mind," she said.
Mahie says that such scenes get relegated in people`s memory to the strong content of her films.
However, the actress says that she would not just jump in bed for the sake of it unless she is convinced.
"It is not easy at all to do it. When there are a lot of people around while you shoot you feel awkward. You can tell your director not to have too many people around. I should also feel that intimacy is required in this film. Once you are convinced then it becomes easy," she said.
Mahie revealed that she turned down many offers to do intimate scenes in the aftermath of `Dev D` as she thought they were not required in films.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ‘Son of Sardaar’ Ajay Devgn grabs Diwali 2017 slot!
- Lindsay Lohan avoids jail with 125 hours of community service
- Rap mogul 'Suge' Knight refuses to attend L.A. court hearing
- Remo D’Souza is now on Twitter!
- Jacqueline Fernandez in love with Salman Khan’s eyes
- Salman Khan to tweet in Hindi, Urdu
- Check out: Shah Rukh Khan, AbRam’s selfie
- 'The Spectacular Jihad...' inspired by 9/11 attacks
- Jackie Chan opens acting school in China
- I’ve fallen in love with acting, says Lauren Gottlieb
- Pulkit Samrat 'can't wait' to watch 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Piers Morgan returns to 'America's Got Talent' as guest
- Netflix renews 'Grace And Frankie' for season two
- Zayn Malik may make 'X Factor' comeback as judge
- 'Supergirl' pilot leaks online six months before schedule
- Kapil Sharma celebrates two years of CNWK with ‘ABCD 2’ team
- New York `Mad Men` exhibition extends to September 6
- Newcomer Monica Sehgal gets taste of her popularity
- Ashish Juneja to enter 'Itna Karo Na Mujhe Pyar'
- `New Girl` actor Max Greenfield roped in for `American Horror Story: Hotel`
- 'American Idol' Carrie Underwood thanks show for stardom
- Indian-American first vegetarian contestant on 'MasterChef US'
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow