Make space for art house cinema: Kiran Rao
New Delhi: Filmmaker Kiran Rao, who made her directorial debut with off-beat film ‘Dhobi Ghat’, feels there is need to create space for such films. However, she admits it`s risky to make non-commercial films and that she would think before making a film like her debut vehicle.
"Today, if you ask me if I would want to make film like `Dhobi Ghat`, I would think again about it," she said stressing on the point that the country needs right infrastructure to showcase off beat movies.
"There`s need to have arthouse cinema (theatres) to show films that are not necessarily popular in content because I think venues like this will help understand that language of such kind of cinema," said Rao, who was at the 12th Osian`s-Cinefan Film Festival Monday for a panel discussion of her film 2010 film "Dhobi Ghat".
"I think the India is getting opening up to such films and slowly the audience is also increasing," she added.
She was accompanied by the cast and crew of the film. Rao considers she is lucky that her offbeat film got a colossal release, but agrees that usually such films struggle to find a place in multiplexes.
"Multiplexes aren’t the way it is made out to be. At the end of the day, they believe in profit sharing. If I as a filmmaker take a very radical subject, which might not get an audience in the first week, multiplexes wouldn`t agree to let it play on their screens. They would throw me out in the very first week," said Rao.
"They would not keep me until they get at least 40 percent of the audience. So the films that take risks aren’t the right choice for multiplexes. But I am fortunate that I make a film the way I want it to be and I even got the release that I wanted it to be," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Diwali 2016: Style your hair differently this festive season
- Diwali 2016: Lip colours to pick this festive season
- Diwali 2016: Here’s how you can stay fit during festive season
- The Voice India Kids: Nishtha Sharma wins trophy
- Adult film actress Jessica Drake accuses Donald Trump of sexual misconduct
- Shabana Azmi slams Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis—Here's why
- Aamir Khan refused to do 'Josh', says Mansoor Khan
- Ranveer Singh, Vaani Kapoor to continue 'kissing spree' as CBFC gives U/A certificate to new 'Befikre' trailer!
- I have not taken a penny for 'Shivaay', says Ajay Devgn
- After 'ADHM', Shah Rukh Khan's 'Raees' and 'Dear Zindagi' get green signal from MNS