My films not issue-based, they are emotional: Prakash Jha
New Delhi: Prakash Jha is expert in making films out of newspaper headlines but the director says he is a commercial filmmaker whose stories deal with emotions and not with issues.
"My films are not issue-based rather they are emotional. If I don`t have strong emotions in my stories, then I think nobody will watch them. My films are very commercial," Jha told PTI in an interview.
Jha, 61, often lands in trouble for his films, which revolve around political controversies. His `Gangaajal` was inspired by the blinding incident at Bhagalpur, he portrayed the kidnappings in Bihar through `Apaharan`. Similarly, his last release `Chakravyuh` dealt with the naxal problem.
The director is now looking forward to the release of `Satyagraha`, where he takes on the wave of protests that rocked the nation recently though he denies that the film has anything to do with Anna Hazare movement.
"My film has no connection with Anna Hazare and Arvind Kejriwal`s protest. It has got many protests scenes but we cannot say that it has resemblance with Anna Hazare`s movement. There are so many protests going around the world, which became my inspiration.
"`Satyagraha` is about a son`s discontentment. He thinks greed is a good thing but his father thinks just opposite and my film is about how their thought process affect others associated with them," Jha said.
The director is happy that `Satyagraha` has created a strong buzz much prior to its August 30 release.
"It`s good that people are talking about the film. If a direct request from Anna Hazare team comes to preview the film, we are ready for it," Jha said when asked whether he would screen the movie to Hazare`s team.
Jha has teamed up with Amitabh Bachchan for the second
time after `Aarakshan`. Jha says Bachchan`s discipline is inspiring.
"At the age of 70, Amitabhji is still hungry for good roles. He is so keen on learning new things. He behaves as a newcomer on the set and is always keen to learn. He is a disciplined man and always comes prepared for the role," he said.
Apart from Bachchan, the film has a strong ensemble starcast of Ajay Devgn, Kareena Kapoor, Amrita Rao, Arjun Rampal and Manoj Bajpai.
After the success of `Rajneeti`, the director has been churning out muti-starrers be it `Aarakshan` or `Chakravyuh` and Jha says directing a muti-starrer is not tough.
"I am very fortunate to work with all these actors. People say that I have given many actors a new lease of life with my films. But I don`t think so. I take only those actors who fit the role. Rest is there dedication and hard work," he said.
Jha is also thinking of making sequels to `Rajneeti` and `Gangaajal` but the filmmaker says he might end up doing something new next.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Witch hunting to be subject of new Assamese film
- Alia Bhatt teams up with mother for new ad
- Sonakshi Sinha's singing performance at IIFA a 'dream come true'
- IBFW 2015 to start on July 15, go beyond metros
- Khloe ready to finalise divorce from Lamar Odom
- 'San Andreas' review: This temblor is worth watching
- Neelesh Misra to scrutinise Indian governance in 'Ramrajya'
- 'Socially appealing' show attracts Amol Palekar back to TV
- 28 years of 'Mr. India' and Anil Kapoor still looks the same
- Shoojit Sircar is terrific: Yami Gautam
- Sonu Nigam teams up with Sandesh Shandilya for 'Chalk n Duster'
- 'San Andreas' review: This temblor is worth watching
- Check out: Chic album cover of 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Check out: The spicy hindi poster of 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- My character adds suspense to 'ABCD 2': Raghav Juyal
- No plans to make 'Mickey Virus' prequel: Director
- Nawazuddin to play Pakistani journalist in 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan'
- Didn't do '50 Shades' because of nudity: Emilia Clarke
- 'Jaws' returning to big screen for 40th Anniversary
- 'Maggie' review- Engaging zombie film
- 'Welcome 2 Karachi' review: Troublesome twosome
- Kangana Ranaut, Shahid Kapoor to star in Vishal Bhardwaj's next?
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- DNA: Govt claims no power shortage, but India looms in darkness
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 28, 2015
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in
- Heatwave toll in Andhra Pradesh reaches 1,490
- Maggi noodles likely to face ban in India, FSSAI orders sample examination