‘R...Rajkumar’ review: Senseless, bad filmmaking!
The Indian audiences have certainly matured. They are no longer the lot who blow wolf-whistles when the hero single handedly beats up a bunch of goons. ‘R...Rajkumar’ directed by Prabhudheva is what an average movie goer wouldn’t really want to see.
Starring Shahid Kapoor, Sonakshi Sinha and Sonu Sood, ‘R...Rajkumar’ has been shot in a rustic backdrop. The filmmaker tried to cash in on the latest trend of showing a street-smart ‘road side Romeo’, dressed in gaudy shirts who falls in love with a good girl. Remember ‘Besharam’?
Wonder what made Prabhudheva even come up with a film like ‘R...Rajkumar’ that has nothing but headache to offer?
Rajkumar (Shahid) is a street smart orphan guy who comes to Dhartipur, a dreaded place ruled by two drug mafias. The purpose of his visit is however established towards the end of the film but it doesn’t convince you at all.
The moment Rajkumar steps into Dhartipur, he sees the two warring gangs headed by Shivraj (Sonu Sood) and Parmar (Ashish Vidyarthi) indulge in a gun battle. Here he comes across the love of his life- Chanda (Sonakshi Sinha) - who he tries to save from fierce bullets.
Chanda is Parmar’s niece and quite a courageous girl who doesn’t fear roughing up men who tease her.
Rajkumar joins Shivraj’s gang and instantly becomes his blue eyed boy. Shivraj uses Rajkumar to befriend his rival gang so that he could carry out his drug deal without hassles. Parmar strikes a deal with Shivraj by offering the hand of his niece to him. And that is when a love triangle begins.
Shahid Kapoor, who has earlier essayed meaningful roles, has somehow let his career graph go haywire by choosing films that turn out to be a complete dampener. Both Sonakshi and Shahid have tremendous potential and perhaps more films like ‘Kaminey’ and ‘Lootera’ can help them accelerate their somewhat stagnant careers, for they have a lot more to offer.
The audiences would certainly love to see Sonu Sood essaying a variety of characters and not just the typical rustic baddie that he has repeated with this movie. It felt good to see Ashish Vidyarthi back in Bollywood, but perhaps the choice of his comeback character could have been much better.
The songs apart from ‘Gandi Baat’ have not been impressive and even the background score sounded juvenile.
`R...Rajkumar’ is a vague attempt to produce a film with a variety of emotions, but sadly you will find no trace of any kind of emotion, not even humour. The filmmaker has failed to make even a single moment where the movie viewer connects to any of the movie characters. For instance, in the climax action sequence, Rajkumar gets badly beaten up by Shivraj. Instead of empathising with the hero getting roughed up so miserably, the audience seems to be waiting for the “drama” to end.
The dialogues will remind you of the legendary Rajinikanth but the panache is missing. Rajkumar is often heard saying, “be silent else I will get violent”. After watching the film, your sane senses would have been put to rest and hence you would take his advice very seriously and stay silent.
Watch the film only if you don’t love yourself!
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How to look good without eye makeup
- 'American Idol' was worst experience for Mariah Carey
- Ben Affleck, Jennifer Garner headed towards USD 150 M divorce
- 'Jigarthanda' director obtains stay on Hindi remake
- Dharmendra may soon undergo shoulder surgery
- No plans to make 'Mickey Virus' prequel: Director
- R Madhavan one of the most wonderful actors: Hirani
- Nawazuddin to play Pakistani journalist in 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan'
- Perception is that I had it easy: Jackky Bhagnani
- Antonio Banderas to be honoured at Latin Film Awards
- Didn't do '50 Shades' because of nudity: Emilia Clarke
- Drew Barrymore to pen new memoir
- Six writers in 2,000-km roving lit fest rail journey
- Arnold Schwarzenegger tells all about love child in new memoir
- Rare book returned to Chicago library after 78 years
- Bill Clinton’s ex-flame Monica Lewinsky penning `secret book`
- No personal information on Kareena in Shobha De`s book
- DC comic series `Green Lantern` to feature 1st ever Arab-Muslim superhero
- 2-km-long Bible on display at Chennai International Christian book fair
- I never thought of a life in politics: Nikki Haley
- Young India wants jobs, girls, social status: Chetan Bhagat
- JK Rowling unveils online Harry Potter book club for kids
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in