Review: ‘Kamaal Dhamaal Malamaal’ is a big time bore
There are few directors who have made their mark in the industry owing to their sheer talent and an impressive line of work; Priyardarshan is undoubtedly one of those. The master craftsman who has under his belt some of the best comedies and extraordinary hits like ‘Hera Pheri’, ‘Hungama’ and ‘Bhool Bhulaiyaa’ offered to his audience ‘Kamaal Dhamaal Malamaal’ this Friday. And coming straight to the verdict - this film, in simple terms, is a far cry from the cults which Priyan has delivered in the past.
‘Kamaal Dhamaal Malaamal’ boasts the presence of Bollywood veterans. Barring a few names like Paresh Rawal, Om Puri, Asrani and Shakti Kapoor, who are almost constant in Priyan’s film, the fans of the talented director were more excited to see Nana Patekar featuring for the first time in his film.
Actor Shreyas Talpade joins this pro cast to play the character of the town’s biggest coward in the movie. But the fun and the rollercoaster ride which the rushes of the film promised, appears hogwash as one comes out of the theatre watching ‘KDM’.
The story doesn’t have much to offer. Om Puri (David) and Paresh Rawal (Peter) once thick friends become sworn enemies after their common love interest (Sona Nair) marries David. Their good for nothing son Shreyas (Johnny) is in love with Peter’s daughter Madhurima (Maria). But, Peter doesn’t approve of their love and want to teach a lesson to Puri by making his daughter ditch Puri’s son Johnny by playing not not-so-outstanding tricks (very unlike Priyan).
Even as things go from bad to worse for Puri’s family, Nana Patekar (Sam) enters to make life better for Johnny and his father. The maker has tried to develop a mysterious character of Nana, which eventually proves to be a tad boring as the fun goes bust. Nana is completely wasted in the film. He is there just to eat and beat. It was sad to see a power-packed performer like Nana in such an under-developed role.
Despite some of the best actors in the film, ‘KDM’ fails to live up to the expectations. A weak plot coupled with lackluster comedy mars the essence of the film. Touted as the sequel of Priyan’s ‘Malamaal Weekly’, people who were expecting a rip roaring part two of the film will be hugely disappointed.
Comedy has been Priyan’s forte and the director has this rare quality to weave interesting stories around subjects and themes which are earthy, natural and unpretentious for audiences to relate and get entertained. But in case of ‘KDM’, the director seems to have lost his midas touch.
It gets all the more annoying when the film tries to pick the tempo, but fails miserably primarily on account of a weak storyline.
In terms of showing good acting skills, everyone faired just well since most of the actors are veterans and have a theatre background. Dialogues of Neeraj Vora were good at times but overall they lacked the punch.
To be really frank, there is nothing kamaal about ‘Kamaal Dhamaal Malamaal’.
Rating: One cheer for this!
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Perry, Mayer not serious about each other?
- Kendrick Lamar wants to be positive role model
- Taylor Swift asks Calvin Harris to move in
- Feel fortunate that Ranveer and I get along well: Arjun
- When Chris Pratt turned rickshaw-puller
- Tracy Morgan appears in public for first time since settlement
- Miley Cyrus flaunts her bosom
- Khloe Kardashian's boutique to offer personal styling
- Dance-based films are a necessity: Hrithik
- Bollywood hails 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' teaser!
- IIFA 2015: Ranveer misses press con, Arjun wears 'sanskari' T-shirt!
- 'Indian' sequel on the cards: A.M. Rathnam
- Naren turns baddie for 'Aranmanai 2'
- Taapsee Pannu to don khaki in Selvaraghavan's 'Kaan'
- 'Baahubali' trailer to launch in Dolby Atmos sound
- Miss India UAE Nivetha debuts in 'Oru Naal Koothu'
- 'Gour Hari Dastaan' to release on August 14
- Don't have time for Bollywood: Venkat Prabhu
- Anjali is Balakrishna's heroine in 'Dictator'
- 'Legend' success cemented my career in Telugu filmdom: Sonal Chauhan
- Pawan Kalyan sports bearded look for 'Gabbar Singh 2'
- Suriya pushed me towards excellence: Venkat Prabhu
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015