‘The Lunchbox’ review: A rare fare!
Director Ritesh Batra’s debut Hindi feature vehicle - ‘The Lunchbox’ – runs on the theme that reads “Kabhi kabhi galat train bhi sahi jagah pahuncha deti hai” (Sometimes even a wrong train can get you to the right destination).
‘The Lunchbox’ is a journey of Saajan Fernandes (Irrfan Khan) and Ila (Nimrat Kaur) who are living a spice-less existence. Saajan is a widowed government employee on the verge of retirement after serving his company faithfully for 35 years. Ila, on the other hand, is a duty-bound young housewife, who lives to serve her husband Rajeev and nurse her daughter Yashvi. To rev-up her marriage, Illa decides to cook a delish meal for her indifferent (and infidel) hubby and get it delivered by the impeccable hands of dabbawallahs. As fate would have it, the dabba lands up at Saajan’s desk leading to a series of written notes being passed on from one end to another. Ila gets an anchor that was missing in her life and love brings a breath of fresh air in the autumn of Saajan’s life. What pulls the strings of the audience’s heart the most is the way ‘love’ cooks up between the pair sans any form of new age communication. To add zing to this love story, there is Aslam Sheikh (Nawazuddin Siddiqui), who has been hired as Saajan’s post retirement replacement. Nawazuddin as Aslam is unintentionally funny and he has got his comic timing right. His interesting conversations with Saajan make the film more engaging and original. Ditto for Bharati Achrekar (Mrs Deshpande) who plays Ila’s neighbour in the film. It is her voice that can be heard from upstairs whenever Ila engages in conversation with her.
What makes ‘The Lunchbox’ a rare fare is the fact it follows the uncharted path, never goes into the predictable zones and of course, steers clear of the clichés such as masala song sequences.
Ritesh Batra’s has given a sensible direction to the film and needless to say, when there are honed actors like Irrfan Khan and Nawazudddin Siddiqui, performances are bound to be one of the other unique aspects of the film. Nimrat Kaur looks real on the frames as a middle-class housewife seeking someone to share her feelings with.
The ending of the film has been left to the viewers` imagination or perhaps there is a a sequel in making.
Clearly, ‘The Lunchbox’ is a wholesome affair – one that shows how it feels when mundane seems magic and attempts to explore the concept of age bar in love.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Michael Caine 'never tempted to stray' from wife
- I don't jump out of a trunk naked in 'The Duff': Ken Jeong
- 'Indian Idol Junior' sets ball rolling with Bollywood music
- Boman Irani, Sonu Sood to share relationship secrets on Farah Khan's show
- Ahsaan Qureshi in talks for 'Tu Mera Hero'?
- Azharuddin trains Emraan for biopic 'Azhar'
- Still in discussion: Ekta Kapoor on female lead of 'Azhar'
- 'PK', joint productions create Bollywood buzz in China
- Musical fund-raising event for Nepal quake victims
- Neha Sharma to romance John Abraham in 'Hera Pheri 3'
- I was called silly for doing 'Fashion': Priyanka Chopra
- Anupam Kher 'admires honesty' of body shamers
- Popular porn film carries message about testicular cancer
- Alanis Morissette believes breastfeeding can be `intimidating`
- Pamela Anderson says `learned a lesson` after divorcing Rick Salomon again
- Ashton Kutcher: Don't print paparazzi pics of my baby girl
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Being Human 'Veer Campaign' to help in skill training 5 lakh people with disabilities
- This is why Cara Delevingne hates modelling industry
- Kim K to her career critics: 'Try it. I dare you'
- Novelist F Scott Fitzgerald's 'Gatsby' home up for grabs
- Taylor Swift's ex beau Joe Jonas finds Gigi Hadid dating rumors funny
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview