Actors unite to celebrate 150th birth anniversary of Telugu playwright
Hyderabad: Popular Telugu actors such as Jhansi, Rallapali, Subbaraya Sharma, Uttej and many more have united to celebrate the 150th birth anniversary of renowned Telugu playwright Gurazada Apparao June 16. ‘Kanyasulkam’, a 120-year old play, will be performed as a tribute.
About the trials and tribulations of women since the evolution of mankind, Apparao`s ‘Kanyasulkam’ is touted to be the greatest play ever written in Telugu.
"This is our way of paying respect to one of the best playwrights in Telugu. `Kanyasulkam` was staged for the first time many years ago, and since then it has been staged so many times. It will be an honour for us to perform again," D.S Deekshith, director of the play, said.
"The reason we have roped in actors is because they can draw the audiences. Theatres actors alone can`t attract audiences in this era of films. These are actors who have years of theatre experience and don`t mind taking out time," he added.
Gurazada was also famous for other plays such as ‘Minugurlu’, ‘Kondubhatteeyam’. He has also penned several poems such as ‘Poornamma’, ‘Kanyaka’ and ‘Subhadra’.
"We have been rehearsing over the last few weeks. I`m so happy with the support I have received from actors such as Jhansi and Rallapali sir. It`s actually a very long play that runs for 10 hours, but we have shortened it to about two-and-a-half hour," he said.
The play will be performed at the Ravindra Bharati as part Sangamam theatre festival.
Deekshith feels more actors should actively participate in theatre.
"I think only film actors can save theatre from extinction. Today, there is a film released every week, but theatre can`t happen on a weekly basis because people involved in it have their regular jobs," he said and added once in a while actors can participate in plays, it will benefit theatre.
"Actors, who entered films via theatre have stopped participating and that`s disheartening. I wish they don`t discard theatre and take out time occasionally to take part," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kamal Haasan slams PETA over jallikattu, asks it to ban 'bull riding rodeos' in Trump's US
- Bollywood celebs saddened by Hirakhand Express tragedy
- Priyanka Chopra shows support for anti-Trump Women's March
- Box Office report: Aamir Khan's 'Dangal' picks up pace on weekend again
- I have learned to make peace with failure: Hrithik Roshan
- First reprint of Adolf Hitler's 'Mein Kampf' becomes German bestseller: Publisher
- A politically incorrect guide to the world's diverse peoples
- Weekend special: Books you can pick
- Mahavir Singh Phogat's biography to launch ahead of 'Dangal' release!
- Hrithik Roshan asks for his copy of 'The Legend of Lakshmi Prasad'; Twinkle Khanna sends a 'funny' frisbee reply!