Efforts on to save language spoken by Jesus Christ
London: Scientists are finding ways to preserve Aramaic, the dialect of 3,000 years ago that Jesus Christ spoke and one that is tied to both Hebrew and Arabic.
Geoffrey Khan, professor of linguistics at the University of Cambridge, has launched a quest to record the language before it dies out by visiting the scattered communities where it is still used.
By recording some of the remaining native Aramaic speakers, he hopes to preserve the language which is one of a number threatened with extinction worldwide.
The 3,000-year-old language was once widespread throughout the entire Middle East and used for trade, government and divine worship from the Holy Land to India and China, the Daily Mail reports.
As a key language used in Israel from 539 BC to 70 AD, experts believe it was likely to have been spoken by Jesus.
It is also the language of large sections of the biblical books of Daniel and Ezra, and is the main language of the Talmud (key Jewish text).
Parts of the ancient Dead Sea scrolls were written in Aramaic.
As Jesus died on the cross, he cried out in Aramaic, `Elahi, Elahi, lema shabaqtani?` (`My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?`).
But speakers are now scattered across the globe, with pockets even found in US cities such as Chicago, where several thousand Assyrians live.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- This 'musical genius' will make you facepalm - Watch 'unintentionally funny' video here
- 'Phobia' also a comment on violence in society: Director
- Watch: ‘Sultan’ Salman Khan - Anushka Sharma’s electrifying chemistry in ‘Baby Ko Bass Pasand Hai’
- Has Lata Mangeshkar REACTED to Tanmay Bhat's 'controversial snapchat' video? Read more inside
- Hot alert! Lisa Haydon looks incredibly sexy in these bikini pics
- Is public really interested in PM's degree? Every Narendra Modi supporter MUST WATCH this video
- After BJP, now Congress becomes intolerant, arrogant for AIMIM chief Asaduddin Owaisi
- Assam Class 12 Result 2016: Assam HS Final Result 2016, AHSE 12th Class Result 2016, Assam AHSEC Class 12 Results 2016 will be declared on June 2