I believe in presenting India-inspired collections: Manish Malhotra
Marbela Beach: Indian tradition and aesthetics have become such an important part of Manish Malhotra`s designs that he even took inspiration from them for his resort wear collection.
"I believe in promoting our own cuts and designs and that is why my resort wear line has completely Indianised garments with no western influence on it," Malhotra told reporters.
The designer, who brought the curtain down on the first edition of India Resort Fashion Week (IRFW), presented a collection that was a mix of anarkalis, suits, saris, jodhpuri pants, trousers, jackets, kurtas with bikini tops, cropped pants in hues like ivory, fushia pink, amber, steel grey.
The collection was not in sync with the theme, but he explained it thus: "My collection is a mix of resort and bridal line. Internationally, one relates a resort line with cruise-wear line, but I wanted to give it a different meaning altogether. I don`t want to restrict resort wear to a few specific garments.
"For me, looking glamorous and feminine is one of the main aspects of a resort wear line and the silhouettes must fit the party look. So I wanted to present the Indianised version of resort wear in the form of saris, chiffon kurtas, jodhouri pants and anarkalis."
"The collection is all about clean hemlines, bold colours, no blings and no accessories. I think this will fit into the wardrobe of anybody who relates to India," he added.
Malhotra extensively used chiffon, linen, velvets and silk to create garments and give them a sensuous and chic makeover.
Asked whether the collection will attract international buyers, the designer said: "I am not looking at international buyers as I never participate in fashion weeks for business. I am happy with my Indian buyers, orders and assignments. It leaves me no time to do other stuff."
"But, yes, international buyers do show interest in Indian designs. Last time when I visited Goa, I dressed up an Egyptian actress in Indian attire which she liked a lot. So, I would say fans of Indian designs are everywhere around the world," he added.
Post-IRFW, the designer will be busy with movie projects and other assignments.
"Half the time is consumed in considering movie offers. Yes, there are a few in the pipeline, but I won`t reveal the names right now. Also, there are many fashion events like the Lakme Fashion Week," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Superstar Rajinikanth requests fans not to celebrate his birthday
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!
- Life lessons: 7 reasons why you should never give up!
- Sanjay Dutt to star in 'Bhoomi'! FIRST LOOK out
- Rishi Kapoor and Neetu Kapoor thank Gauri Khan for turning Ranbir's house into home!
- Raees look: Not one but three different styles for Shah Rukh Khan
- Wedding season special: Tips to pick suitable footwear for different functions
- Mira Rajput wears hubby's T-shirt and gets approval from Shahid Kapoor right away!
- Anushka Sharma looks dazzling on latest GQ cover!
- Parineeti Chopra, Shraddha Kapoor turn black beauties and we can't stop gushing over it!