I believe in presenting India-inspired collections: Manish Malhotra
Marbela Beach: Indian tradition and aesthetics have become such an important part of Manish Malhotra`s designs that he even took inspiration from them for his resort wear collection.
"I believe in promoting our own cuts and designs and that is why my resort wear line has completely Indianised garments with no western influence on it," Malhotra told reporters.
The designer, who brought the curtain down on the first edition of India Resort Fashion Week (IRFW), presented a collection that was a mix of anarkalis, suits, saris, jodhpuri pants, trousers, jackets, kurtas with bikini tops, cropped pants in hues like ivory, fushia pink, amber, steel grey.
The collection was not in sync with the theme, but he explained it thus: "My collection is a mix of resort and bridal line. Internationally, one relates a resort line with cruise-wear line, but I wanted to give it a different meaning altogether. I don`t want to restrict resort wear to a few specific garments.
"For me, looking glamorous and feminine is one of the main aspects of a resort wear line and the silhouettes must fit the party look. So I wanted to present the Indianised version of resort wear in the form of saris, chiffon kurtas, jodhouri pants and anarkalis."
"The collection is all about clean hemlines, bold colours, no blings and no accessories. I think this will fit into the wardrobe of anybody who relates to India," he added.
Malhotra extensively used chiffon, linen, velvets and silk to create garments and give them a sensuous and chic makeover.
Asked whether the collection will attract international buyers, the designer said: "I am not looking at international buyers as I never participate in fashion weeks for business. I am happy with my Indian buyers, orders and assignments. It leaves me no time to do other stuff."
"But, yes, international buyers do show interest in Indian designs. Last time when I visited Goa, I dressed up an Egyptian actress in Indian attire which she liked a lot. So, I would say fans of Indian designs are everywhere around the world," he added.
Post-IRFW, the designer will be busy with movie projects and other assignments.
"Half the time is consumed in considering movie offers. Yes, there are a few in the pipeline, but I won`t reveal the names right now. Also, there are many fashion events like the Lakme Fashion Week," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sidhu to bring Kapil Sharma and Sunil Grover TOGETHER! Here's what you should know
- Noted Yakshagana artiste Gerukatte Gangaiah Shetty collapses on stage, dies
- Former Miss India Priyadarshini Chatterjee fights for child abuse victim
- Salman Khan feels grounded, all thanks to family and friends!
- Anushka Sharma has found her long-term goal!
- Twinkle Khanna gets a hair makeover and we are crushing on it!
- Shahid Kapoor flaunts his six-pack abs on latest Filmfare cover!
- Alia Bhatt looks ethereal wearing Sabyasachi creation for Harper's Bazaar cover!
- Vaani Kapoor's mysterious act for Rina Dhaka stops time at AIFW
- Summer breezy hairstyles in 60 seconds! WATCH