Rihanna wins court case against Topshop over Tee bearing her pic
London: Rihanna, who had sued Topshop`s parent company Arcadia for 5 million dollars after they used an "unflattering" image of her on their T-shirt without her consent, has won the court battle against the giant fashion chain.
The `Diamonds` hit maker`s picture, which was used on the tank top, was taken during the shooting of a music video in Northern Ireland in 2011, the BBC reported.
The pop star`s attorney`s told the High Court in London that the clothing retailer misled her fans and may have damaged her reputation.
Her lawyers alleged that the image was "very similar" to images used on CD sleeves for one of her albums.
The judge overlooking the case, ruled in favour of the star and said that a "substantial number" of purchasers of the top were likely to have been duped into buying the T-shirt because of a "false belief" that it had been permitted by the singer.
In a two-minute judgment, he said that it was damaging to her "goodwill" and represented a loss of control over Rihanna`s reputation in the "fashion sphere".
The brand`s lawyers had claimed the Rihanna was trying to make an unjustifiable bid to create a "free standing image right" over use of her photograph in the Britain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bigg Boss 10: Manu Punjabi’s fiancée and Monalisa’s boyfriend make an appearance
- Himesh Reshammiya, Iulia Vantur join forces for 'Every Night And Day' from 'Aap Se Mausiiquii'
- Karan Johar opens up about his love life!
- Sonam Kapoor looks ravishing in Shantanu & Nikhil design!
- Non-bailable warrant against 'Bigg Boss 10' contestant Om Swami cancelled!