Ritu Kumar to style Deepa Mehta’s film on ‘Midnight’s Children’
Mumbai: Renowned fashion designer Ritu Kumar has been roped in by filmmaker Deepa Mehta to design the looks for the cast of her film based on Salman Rushdie`s award-winning novel ‘Midnight`s Children’.
Talking to a daily, Ritu confirmed, "It is really a great moment for me to be associated with such a large-scale film. It`s a mammoth production with so many characters and it was really exciting to work on each and every one of them."
Interestingly, Rushdie for the first time has helped in the costume department and provided inputs on how the designs should be in a film. Reportedly, it was on director’s insistence that the maverick writer agreed upon to help Ritu out understand the characters of the flick.
"Yes, Salman and I sat once to discuss about costumes where he gave his invaluable inputs which were greatly helpful," Ritu said.
She further added that it took about six months during which she had to go through a lot of books on the history of fashion.
The designer had previously styled for the short film ‘Little Terrorist’ in 2002. This is her first big break in the West.
Titled ‘Winds of Change’ Deepa Mehta’s ambitious project is a period film with the story beginning in August 15, 1947 India and Ritu naturally had to do extensive research to give the costumes an authentic feel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aamir Khan's 'Dangal' declared tax-free in Madhya Pradesh
- Zee Jaipur Literature Festival: Donald Trump is like a car salesman, says Man Booker Prize winner Paul Beatty
- Sushmita Sen to judge Miss Universe 2017 pageant, says 'life has come full circle'! Pic proof
- Donald Trump was obsessed with me: Kristen Stewart on his old tweet about her
- Priyanka Chopra thanks 'Quantico' team for People's Choice Award!