Recipe: Broccoli Cheese Soup
Broccoli Cheese Soup is perfect for a rainy evening.
• 1¼ pounds Broccoli (washed and trimmed)
• 2 cups Onions
• 5 tbsp Butter or Margarine
• 7 cups Chicken Broth
• 1 tsp Oregano (crumbled and dried)
• ¼ cup Flour
• 2 tbsp Dijon Mustard
• 1/8 tsp Pepper
• 1 cup Milk
• 2 cups Cheddar Cheese (shredded)
• Cut and divide the florets of broccoli into small sections and simmer in slightly salted water 2 minutes.
• Drain the broccoli and immerse in cold water. Keep it aside.
• Cut the broccoli stalks into small pieces and put it in a large saucepan.
• Add sliced onions and 3 tablespoons of butter or margarine and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
• Add the oregano and three cups of chicken broth to the saucepan and let simmer for 30 minutes.
• Take the mixture off the heat and let cool for 10 minutes
• Process the mixture in a blender in batches until it is smooth.
• Melt 2 tablespoons of butter or margarine in the saucepan, add the flour and cook it while stirring it continually. Cook until it is smooth and bubbly.
• Stir in the mustard and pepper and gradually add in the blended mixture as well as 4 cups of chicken broth.
• Stir gently as this simmers over a medium flame, until it begins to bubble.
• Add the cheese and milk and stir until the cheese is completely melted.