Recipe: Masala Rice
This Maharashtrian recipe tastes irresistibly good!
1/2 cup long grain raw rice, ½ cup Water,
1/4 cup boiled peas,
1/4 cup gherkins chopped vertically,
1/4 cup brinjal pieces,
7-8 no. fried cashew nuts,
10 no. curry leaves,
1 teaspoon Maharashtrian goda masala or garam masala powder,
teaspoon turmeric powder, 1/2 teaspoon asafoetida, salt,
sugar to taste, teaspoon ghee, chopped coriander leaves and, fresh grated coconut for garnishing
Pinch of Whole garam masala
2 cinnamon sticks,
3-4 bay leaves,
For the masala: 17. 1/4 cup dry shredded coconut,
2 teaspoon coriander seeds
1 Teaspoon cumin seeds,
Lightly roast all the items and grind.
Wash rice and drain. Keep aside for 1/2 an hour.
Heat a thick bottom vessel. Heat 1/4 cup oil. Add the whole garam masala. When all the masala ingredients sizzle, add turmeric powder and asafoetida.
Add curry leaves, and chopped gherkins. Once soft, add peas and brinjal pieces and fry.
Mix in the rice and fry for some time on a medium heat. Pour boiling water into it. Stir.
Let the rice boil till it shows bubbles on the top.
Now turn the heat to low and add the ground masala, goda masala or garam masala, ghee, salt and sugar. Cover and cook.
Rice is done when all the water evaporates. Garnish with cashew nuts, coconut and coriander leaves. Top with ghee. Serve hot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Varun, Kriti's party anthem 'Manma Emotion Jaage' from 'Dilwale'
- Tamasha movie review: It's all about Ranbir, Deepika's painful yet ecstatic journey
- 'Dilwale' has a lot of twists, turns, says Varun Dhawan
- Amitabh Bachchan reaches 18 mn followers on Twitter
- Kapil Sharma organises ‘wedding’ ceremony for married Harbhajan Singh, Geeta Basra?