`Captain Phillips` review: Focused and grounded
There seems to be a deluge of survival stories hitting the theatres of late. After ‘Prisoners’ and ‘Gravity’, this week we have ‘Captain Phillips’. What`s interesting is that each film is better than the other.
‘Captain Phillips’ is a tale of conflict between men who refuse to give in. This forms the crux of this effective thrilling drama.
Based on the book ‘A Captain`s Duty: Somali Pirates, Navy SEALS, and Dangerous Days at Sea’ by Richard Phillips and Stephan Talty the film is a subtly rousing docudrama that recounts the 2009 hijacking of an American cargo liner and the harrowing experience of its captain.
The screenplay, by Billy Ray, begins very innocuously in a chronological fashion with Captain Phillips (Tom Hanks) bidding adieu to his wife Andrea (Catherine Keener) in their hometown in Vermont, US.
The wary and by-the-book person Captain Phillips reaches Salalah, Oman, to take charge of the container ship Maersk Alabama carrying emergency aid for East Africa among other cargo to Kenya in Africa.
On board the ship, he carefully checks security and safety procedures after being routinely warned about the unsafe waters he would be sailing in. In fact, he insists that his men have a mock drill just to be prepared.
Simultaneously, on the shore of Ely in Somalia, in a scene so reminiscent of Vittorio de Sica`s ‘Bicycle Thieves’ a group of young impoverished khat chewing fishermen are being recruited by rifle toting goons as pirates. After the selections, two motor boats with a crew of four each set sail in search of their prey. Soon they are tailing the Maersk Alabama.
What follows is a battle of wits between Phillips and the pirates. There`s an unusual reverence and understanding between Muse (Barkhad Abdi), the leader of the pirates and Phillips throughout this ordeal that fuels the tension.
Director Paul Greengrass astutely balances the narration by staying neutral till the very end. He has ensured that the account is not over dramatised. He has taken pains to see that neither the captain nor the US Navy are glorified and nor are the pirates condemned or portrayed as some heinous beings.
Humour comes in the form of the staccato one-liners like, "Shut up Irish, too much talking" or "Do you think I am a beggar" from Muse. This actually breaks the tension of this intense drama.
As a no-nonsense middle-aged captain, Tom Hanks is courageous and vulnerable, dedicated and clever. Yet, he is incredibly human and fallible. This is probably one of his career`s best performances.
On the other hand, Barkhad Abdi as the bony, buck-toothed Muse is fascinating. He is fidgety and naive. As a first time actor, he strikingly delivers Muse`s greed, fear and pride.
The rest of the cast too give a realistic display of their histrionics, especially those portraying the pirates from Somalia.
On the technical front, camera work by Barry Ackroyd is initially unsteady. The wobbly footage especially during close ups and mid shots is a bit bothersome. But as the story progresses, one tends to ignore this and concentrate on the subject. What adds to the suspense is the taut editing by Christopher Rouse and the excellent background score by Henry Jackman.
What keeps ‘Captain Phillips’ grounded is the focus of the tale and the emotional tinge it contains.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lara Dutta loved shooting for 'Singh Is Bliing' in Goa!
- ‘Kashibai’ Priyanka Chopra resumes shooting post her break!
- Alanis Morissette believes breastfeeding can be `intimidating`
- Pamela Anderson says `learned a lesson` after divorcing Rick Salomon again
- Ashton Kutcher: Don't print paparazzi pics of my baby girl
- 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2' to hit theaters in March 2016
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Taylor Swift's 'Bad Blood' breaks Vevo record with 20.1m views in 1day
- Maggie Gyllenhaal rejected for a role as she's too old
- 'My Best Friend's Wedding' gets Chinese remake
- Being Human 'Veer Campaign' to help in skill training 5 lakh people with disabilities
- Looking good allows better performance: Sunidhi on weight loss
- Kanye West donates $133,000 to art institution
- Mark Ruffalo to receive award at Giffoni film fest
- Being single is good: Jennifer Lopez
- Aishwarya stuns in Elie Saab gown for amfAR Gala
- Anushka Sharma, Priyanka Chopra share girly love on Twitter!
- I acted inexcusably: Josh Duggar on molestation allegation
- Dubsmash: Salman Khan’s tribute to Shatrughan Sinha
- Shah Rukh Khan undergoes knee surgery, thanks fans for support
- My next prank on Brad Pitt might get me arrested: George Clooney
- Having children not my priority currently: George Clooney
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'