`Glee` may have to change name in UK after losing court battle
London: Musical comedy `Glee` may have to be renamed for UK broadcast after losing a High Court battle with a Midlands comedy club.
Earlier this year, the US network lost a legal battle against UK comedy chain Glee Club, with the court ruling that the series breached a trademark held by the chain.
The High Court has now ordered 21st Century Fox to `cease naming` the series `Glee` in the UK, and awarded 100,000 pounds in damages to Glee Club owner Comic Enterprises Ltd, suggest reports.
"I find it hard to believe that the cost of the re-titling and publicising of the new name would be so prohibitive compared to the value of the series," Judge Roger Wyand said in a written ruling.
"I was told many times during the course of the trial how this series is a `blockbuster`."
However, the judge went on to order that the name-change injunction cannot be enforced until the case has been considered by the Court of Appeal.
Mark Tughan registered the name `The Glee Club` as a British trademark in 1999, ten years prior to the TV show`s first season.
He now runs four venues under the brand in Birmingham, Cardiff, Nottingham and Oxford.
"It`s a relief because you can`t get any more David and Goliath than this," said Tughan following the victory back in February.
"I always knew it would be a career-defining situation but I did not take it on for the fun of it - I took it on to win."
The sixth and final series of `Glee` will run for 13 episodes and is expected to be broadcast in 2015.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mamata Banerjee pays homage to 'Mahanayak' Uttam Kumar
- Want to make your loved one's birthday special? Watch how to make handmade cards!
- Sidharth Malhotra, Katrina Kaif look super HOT in new 'Kala Chashma' stills! You will 'Baar Baar Dekho' it
- S H Raza was a secularist in the true sense: Fraternity
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' beats Salman Khan's 'Sultan', crosses Rs 40 cr mark on opening day!
- TV hottie Nia Sharma lets her hair down in Dubai – See pics
- ‘Angel’ Taher Shah upset with Varun Dhawan, denies right to use song?
- Know what Kapil Sharma’s team did the moment ‘bua’ Upasana Singh quit ‘Comedy Nights Live’
- Neha Marda’s latest romantic Instagram lomotif post will give you relationship goals
- The Kapil Sharma Show: 'Happy Bhag Jayegi' launches TRAILER amid fun and laughter!