Corny nights with Kapil Sharma
Mumbai: ‘Comedy Nights With Kapil’ started with a big bang. Though it was not everyone’s cup of tea, it had huge mass appeal like a Rohit Shetty film, and it quickly found a loyal audience. It was new (from the saas-bahu sagas) and different. The hungry primetime family audiences lapped it up.
Everyone needs a good laugh at the end of the day, and the Hindi audiences wanted their own Comedy Central. Enter Kapil Sharma. And he delivered. Nothing grabs the viewer’s attention like Bollywood. With top actors as celebrity guests, the show quickly climbed to No 1 position. It all seemed too good. It was. A few episodes later, the show is losing its spark. Here’s what is wrong...
The fat and thin jokes
Aristotle, said, ‘We laugh at inferior or ugly individuals, because we feel a joy at feeling superior to them.’ What does that say about Kapil who almost exclusively pokes fun at people who are too fat or too thin. Nothing against such jokes, except they are not funny.
They are not on the level of Joan Rivers’ digs on Adele (‘Congratulations to Adele on the birth of her 68-pound, 8-ounce bouncing baby boy’). Kapil’s fat/thin jokes seemed random at first. Now one sees them in every episode. People who-fit-the-bill are chosen and randomly placed as part of the live audience.
How many times can one laugh at the same jokes? Groan.
The pretty girls
There is always some PYT in the audience. One in every episode.
Kapil will choose her (randomly) to ask the celebrity guest a question and then compliment her and even flirt with her. Yawn!
Dancing with the stars
There is always someone in the audience who tells the celebrity guest, “Mujhe aap ke saath dance karna hai.” Then he/she is called on the stage and a song from the film the actor is promoting is played and a few minutes of bad dancing follows.
They will be poked at, by the host. The ONLY time this was funny was when SRK, complimented one ‘aunty’ and asked her to teach him the steps. The other time was when Priyanka Chopra aped the weird dance steps of one member of the audience. And that is credit to both these actors. Kapil cannot rely on his guests to provide the laughs... The show is Comedy Nights With Kapil. Yo?
There is a segment where Kapil gives a situation to the actor and ask him/her to act it out. This is usually a hit or a miss...not highly imaginative. Can be better. Honestly, Kapil seems less rehearsed as the host of Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa. But even there Manish Paul appeals more with his spontaneity and madness.
TheTurbanator: Siddhu paaji
Don’t understand what purpose does he serve on the show.
There is already canned laughter. Is he really needed to drown out that sound with his cackling! His shayaris are stale. As are his jokes. And his turbans just too neon-ey. Thokko taali? No, thanks.
Sarita A Tanwar /DNA
Pic courtesy: @KapilSharmaK9
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Peterson Hill' set relocated
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita Khan's wedding reception in Mandi
- Shield hair from monsoon humidity
- `Piku' crosses Rs 100 crore mark worldwide
- Aamir Khan visits Sonam Kapoor on the sets of 'Neerja'
- Rolling Stones kick off 'Zip Code' stadium tour in San Diego
- Katy Perry's gigs are mental: Charli XCX
- 10 Things you should definitely do in a lifetime
- Lalit Sen to compose for new TV show
- Irrfan, Deepika took romance to new level: Sircar
- Shield hair from monsoon humidity
- Eva Longoria wants fitness empire
- Akshay Kumar to launch his clothing line
- Lady Gaga gets over 30 wedding dress sketches from top designers
- Ditch black for bold and bright this summer
- Style up in suede in spring, summer
- Kylie's lip fillers changed her confidence: Kim Kardashian
- Jane Fonda proud to be a fashion icon
- Fashion is not for everybody: Dolce and Gabbana
- Designer Monisha Jaising to enter e-commerce
- Sculpt your looks like Moore, N'yongo did at Cannes
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks